Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts opinions dual cabs

thoughts opinions dual cabs

Seriously considering buying a new dual cab 2wd for a family/daily commuter I think they will kinda myself and my familys lifestyle. We have never bought a new vehicle so opinions on this would be valued eg right decision or not. At the moment we have VT Commodore which has been fantastic just about put anything in the back, tow the car trailer once in a while etc.Just after thoughts and opinions on the new range of dual cabs as they seem to be more car like eg ford ranger, Mazda but 50 and the Isuzu dmax. As long as I can tow a car trailer occasionally I think I will get away with a 2.5 tonne towing capacity. I suppose what I am getting at is I do not want to base my decision solely on how much the thing can pull. More interested in reliability, longegivity and being able to live with it on a daily basis. I do like the dmax. Anyway thoughts or opinions from forum members would be greatly appreciated and valued.

Cheers Dave

There all pretty much the same now dave they all have good and bad points imo i own a 04 maxda bravo had no trouble whatsoever bought the wife a brand new 09 bt 50dual cab in auto diesel plenty of power for towing and drives like a car
    and good fuel economy
    cheers gene

Sandman Guru
    V6 auto Hilux. Will do everything you want, in 2WD will be as quick and as economical as your VT Commodore and doesn't sound or feel like a truck engine. These only tow 2250kg though, although I think this is actually realistic unlike the claims of other manufacturers. The V6 has a great box, the Toyota A750F 5spd auto. Probably the equivalent of the good old TH400/3L80/4L80E/6L80E GM gearbox. The other great thing about these is you can pick up a really low kM one cheap as people have been brainwashed into thinking diesel is better in these, but it simply ain't the case. Drive one and you'll be convinced pretty quickly! People are getting 14sec Hiluxes out of these by doing exhaust and tune. They are just under $50k retail driveaway for an SR5, but you'll find one for $45-$47k new.

Here is a new one: http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...o=Stock&items=[Make:TOYOTA,Model:HILUX,BaseEnabledBadge:SR5 DOUBLE CAB]&sort=Price

Low kM used: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...o=Stock&items=[Make:TOYOTA,Model:HILUX,BaseEnabledBadge:SR5 DOUBLE CAB]&sort=Price

Thanks for the imput. I'm hearing you about the Hiluxes but I had a 2000 patrol petrol yrs ago and could not get over the fuel consumption. So I am a bit concerned about going for a big car with petrol motor. Commodore is on gas so its a bit hard to judge what it goes thru. Doing the sums diesels are cheaper to run per km but probably going to pay that back when servicing is due. So not sure if it makes diesel a winner or a loser. Apparently the Dmax does 8.1 combined per 100km which seems pretty good for a large vehicle certainly better the Commodore. More input would be great.

Cheers Dave

hey mate i got a 2011 colorado turbo deisel 4wd and love it, its pretty much the same as dmax but has the holden badge its by no means fast but we tow horses and it would pull a truck. not to sure about the brand newest ones as i think they have changed the motor.
    id definantly go a 4wd if i was you tho because its good fun on the weekend with the family and they retain value a lot better.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadVan View Post
    Thanks for the imput. I'm hearing you about the Hiluxes but I had a 2000 patrol petrol yrs ago and could not get over the fuel consumption. So I am a bit concerned about going for a big car with petrol motor. Commodore is on gas so its a bit hard to judge what it goes thru. Doing the sums diesels are cheaper to run per km but probably going to pay that back when servicing is due. So not sure if it makes diesel a winner or a loser. Apparently the Dmax does 8.1 combined per 100km which seems pretty good for a large vehicle certainly better the Commodore. More input would be great.

Cheers Dave
    My 4x4 SR5 averages around 13L/100kM on E10. 2WD version will do around 12L/100kM. To me that is awesome economy, the 2.5TD manual D40 Navara we had in the Company was lucky to do better! It'll take you somewhere between 3 and 6 years to recoup the extra cost of the diesel vehicle in the first place, and you have to put up with a diesel. There is nothing wrong with diesels, it is just people get this idea in their head about fuel consumption, and it is all silly hype in many ways. The cost saving I would get in mine, taking into account the extra 15c/L or more the diesel is over E10 is about $300-400 a year maximum. And i'd have to put up with the smell of diesel, a clunky old overheating 4spd auto whcih the diesels get and a slow old car to boot that you have to plan ahead to move into traffic.
    If diesel is a must though, try a ST-X Navara with the 3.0L V6 and the Mazda BT-50/Ford Gillard (Ranger!) with the 3.2L 5cyl diesel. These are both good trucks too, but still don't drive as good as a V6 auto Hilux! And NEVER let them run out of new car warrranty! Don't buy anything with a diesel particulate filter like auto 2.5TD Navara.

If you are looking at late model secondhand diesels, the old shape BT-50 or Ford Ranger had in my opinion the best diesel to drive. The 2.5TD Navara feels the most "carlike" to drive, you'd swear the engine was a little 2.0L petrol engine the way it revs, but they are still very slow. Avoid manuals as the dual mass flywheels/clutches aren't really up to towing, especially low speed reversing.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    My 4x4 SR5 averages around 13L/100kM on E10.
    You'll get better economy then that if you don't use E10 crap...

Sandman Guru
    Not in my experience in both SR5's and the Cross8 and the CV8. You may get better on 95 or 98 but it is lots dearer and you lose the benefit. These engines retard the timing on 91 and they start to lose economy. E10 is about 95 rating. The Cross8 was tuned for 95 and was happy with E10, pinged its tits off on 91. Got similar economy and power on E10 or 95. Hilux seems to like E10, bugger all difference to 95 or 98, maybe 0.5L/100 max difference

It's a rockin'
    if you are using it for a family vehicle make sure you sit in the back of them ,some of them are not very comfortable

Sandman Guru
    ^^True. The best thing you can do with a Thai dual cab 4x4 is spend $2000 on OME suspension. It totally transforms the vehicle. What speedbump? vs Ouch on the original suspension! The nicest ride with OME on a Hilux is soft front and rear and airbags for towing (another $450 or so). If you have a bullbar you want medium front springs.

Thread Information