Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 Air cleaner decals

308 Air cleaner decals

Hi guys, does anybody know what the correct decals are for my 5th month 76 HJ 308 air cleaner lid?
    I'm thinking its the big straight "5.0" with the straight "litre" sticker below it, or is it the red curved"gmh" at the top(towards firewall) with the red curved "5.0 litre" on the bottom(towards radiator) on the lid. Any help would be great thanks

$(KGrHqJ,!j!E6IdOehm6BOlr18qIIg~~60_12.jpg

I thought this was a early HJ one. Dont know if they changed post '75. Notice the breather hose at the front like a HQ.

Early HJ Engine Bay.
    hjenginebay1.jpg

Sorry dont have a picture of a late engine bay.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 18-08-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

I'm reasonably certain my late HJ Statesman has the curved ones.

Thanks mauser and playwme, i'm pretty sure my air cleaner isnt supposed to have the pcv breather at the front, my one is at the back which i have also seen on other genuine late hj engine bays but none of the pictures have had the decals. Maybe Byron can shed some light on the decals?? Cheers guys

Sandman Guru
    As far as I know most HJ have the PCV breather at the front, it is LH and early LX Torana that are opposite. Some late HJ's got the pollution ADR27A engines from HX and later LX which will have the different aircleaner decal. I can't remember if the breather stayed at the front on these or not.

5th month 76 may have had breather in the rear of the base plate for the cleaner linking to the rear passenger side rocker. And no sticker.

IMG_1433.jpg

Mine is 3/75. You'll see the PCV valve (the one with a small ball and spring in it) on the front of the drivers side rocker cover which then goes to the base plate of the quaddy. The rear of the passenger side rocker cover has the larger hose that attaches to the filter in the aircleaner. As you can see I made a bit of an error about 6 years ago where I wanted to keep the original transfer on the aircleaner but wanted to clean-up the rest of it with paint while I was getting the heads done-up for their 31 year birthday. Wasn't aware I could just have ordered anothery instead of trying to mask it up.... Wasn't into eBay etc then....

Hope that helps. I'm not too sure but think the change in HJ series was around August-September 1975?

Regards,

Dave
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    $(KGrHqJ,!j!E6IdOehm6BOlr18qIIg~~60_12.jpg

I thought this was a early HJ one. Dont know if they changed post '75. Notice the breather hose at the front like a HQ.

Early HJ Engine Bay.
    hjenginebay1.jpg

Sorry dont have a picture of a late engine bay.

Mauser
    That's an interesting one. Does that HJ not have a charcoal canister? The larger diameter hose is attached at one end to the canister, t-piece at the PCV and then to the carby base plate on mine (TH400).

IMG_1435.jpgIMG_1436.jpg

Found these in the HJ supplement, apologies for the photos on their sides.... Will scan and post them if someone needs them.

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thanks for the info dave, much appreciated, if u can post me that diagram that eould b awsome, i'll PM u with my address. Cheers Mark

Sandman Guru
    Dave may be right. The early HJ's didn't have cansiters so are like late HQ, but the PCV looks like it has been moved to the front once the canister is installed (1/75 onwards) so that the canister vapour combines with the PCV vapour at a T-joint and gets sucked into the base of the carby.

Thread Information