Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HQ SS - on Production line

HQ SS - on Production line

HQ 25 Yrs (1).jpgHQ 25 Yrs (2).jpgHQ 25 Yrs (3).jpgHQ 25 Yrs (3).jpgHQ 25 Yrs (5).JPGIMG_0103.jpg

Found in an Old Holden Book, looks like an SS to me with the full black grille.

I have added some more HQ shots to enjoy. Love the shot of the V8 on the test bench.
    Last edited by QUP; 20-08-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Nearly on the Road

Sandman Guru
    I think it'd have to be an SS with white blinkers and GTS guards on a sedan

Cool picture mate.

Lettuce alone, GTS guards, GTS steering wheel, blackouts around the sills and bottom of the nose cone, full black grille with Holden badge, don't know about the rims or maybe they are missing the chrome trims. Just waiting on its stick-on bonnet strips and SS guard stickers. Notice it doesnt have any other badges on the front guards but it is missing the black headlight surrounds and not complete. Might be an Ultra-violet one following it.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 16-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Driver
    Great to see those old photo makes everything more real !!!

Cruiser
    4 door GTS from 1973 would have the ADR change for the amber blinker lenses so I agree with above that it looks like a lettuce alone HQSS

noice

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Cool picture mate.

Lettuce alone, GTS guards, GTS steering wheel, blackouts around the sills and bottom of the nose cone, full black grille with Holden badge, don't know about the rims or maybe they are missing the chrome trims. Just waiting on its stick-on bonnet strips and SS guard stickers. Notice it doesnt have any other badges on the front guards but it is missing the black headlight surrounds and not complete. Might be an Ultra-violet one following it.

Mauser
    Excellent photo. Great observations Mauser - a good eye for detail.

Wheel trims were not standard on SS so would not be on the line I suspect. Head light covers probably installed after the adjustment process that is going on in the photo. Too much info about HQs is barely enough.

Sandman Guru
    Tyres also look like 195SR14 blackwall radials which were standard on XV2 Belmont (SS). XV4 Kingswood (GTS sedan) got ER70H14 blackwall radials which the ones in the photo look too tall to be.

You can see a copy of the production broadcast sheet attached to the windscreen on this car and on the torquoise looking car behind.

This will be an early car as there are no stripes on the car. Early cars had transfers which would probably would have been fitted in the touch up section of the assembly plant. Later run cars had the stripes painted and they'd logically have been done mostly in the BODY plant's paint shop and would be seen on this car if it was a later car. Shame we can't see the text on the broadcast sheet or we'd know which one of the initial 1600 cars this one is!

The photograph was from a GMH 25 Year Celebration book put out by their marketing department, dare say one that wouldn't have seen the bookshelves too often. This would have meant the book was produced for 1973 and the shots were probably from 1972 - does that fit
    Nearly on the Road

P Plater
    GNW1974 could you let me know what Book this came out of please.
    I would love to get a copy of it if at all possible.
    You guys are right on the money LA SS nearing the end of the line but I am wondering which plant it is.
    Cheers Paul.

--- Updated ---

I was a bit slow in posting that so that answers that question for me.
    They were all built from the 18th of August 1972 (40 years tomorrow) to the end of 72 so spot on with your 72 time frame.
    Cheers Paul.

--- Updated ---

Would it be ok if I used this picture elsewhere GNW1974.
    Cheers Paul.

It has been lent to me by a gent whose father worked for GMH in Adelaide for 25+ years and finished in a reasonably responsible position in engineering. I think he retired in the mid 70's as he was sold his company HQ Holden on retirement.
    I will take a picture of the cover next week (it is back at work now) and post it up. It just has a large 25 on the front cover. There are lots of production shots of the models from 1948 to 1973, including engines (and V8 development). It has very little technical information, just overviews and I saw the photo of the SS as one of real interest.
    Nearly on the Road

Thread Information