Thread: Reproduction parts evaluation

Reproduction parts evaluation

I thought it may be a good idea to post an evaluation of the reproduction parts we get and how they compare to original parts. If you have bought repro parts let us know what you think of the quality, how close to original they are, how well they fit, any problems you had and how they were overcome etc. to help others out.

I bought the Rare Spares HQ-HJ console lid and shifter surround kit today and have compared it to two originals I have.

I was happy to find the kit came with the lid mount brackets, lid spring and shift pattern insert made from aluminium. I was disappointed that the mount bracket screws were not included.

I thought by ordering the black one it would at least be close to original and have the correct textured insert..... I was sadly disappointed. What I got was a chromed one that has simply been painted black.... completely painted black... so unlike the originals the insert isn't chrome, the surround isn't chrome and the lift tab isn't chrome. If I ever need another one I will order the chrome one and fit a black insert panel.

The original insert panels don't quite fit properly but a little filing will rectify this. The raised border is thinner than original and also a rounded edge rather than being flat like the original. If you were needing a chrome lid which fortunately our Sandmans don't, the machine finish is very poor and has several defects in the finish.

In the pic below the repro is fitted with an original woodgrain insert, a little trimming around the centre raised logo will be needed for a proper fit.

Left is the correct original black lid with the repro black lid in the middle. Generally they aren't too bad and with a little work can be made to look good if you fit an original style insert panel.

The shifter surround is a totally different kettle of fish, to say that I was extremely disappointed with it would be an understatement. The plastic is poor quality and they totally cocked up the hole size. You could not buy a shifter boot and fit it to an original surround. Absolutely disgusting that anyone would palm this off as a reproduction item. (original on left)

I will post more on fitting these repro parts to the console when I get time to fit them and take pics.
    Last edited by Absinth; 25-05-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo's
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

that shifter insert on the right..the repro .....it is correct but not for what they are selling it as...:knockout:

this is the problem with rare spares,they do not have the staff that has enough knowledge to correctly identify there products..

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    that shifter insert on the right..the repro .....it is correct but not for what they are selling it as...:knockout:

this is the problem with rare spares,they do not have the staff that has enough knowledge to correctly identify there products..
    Greg, can you expand on this a little. Are you saying one is HQ and the other is HJ? According to the HQ and HJ parts catalogues the black manual cover insert are both part number 2817277..... meaning they should be exactly the same part for HQ & HJ.

Armrest covers.....

I have seen these on Ebay for $30ea and figured they were probably crap for that price but decided to buy a couple and see just what they were like..... if they're crap I'd just fit them to spare consoles..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-HJ-Z-C...-/130430239451

I ordered a Slate black one and one in Gazelle. Pretty sure he sent me black and not slate black as it is no where near my original Nos Slate Black vinyl in the middle or the original cover to the left..

The Gazelle however is pretty close to the original cover (in colour anyway)

First thing to do is remove the old cover....

The armrest is thick foam with a thin 5mm thick foam covering it.... it is a good idea to replace the thin cover with some new foam... I haven't done it in these pics as I don't have any left but will do so later when I get some more.

The recovered armrests.... some quick grip glue to glue down the back flaps and screw the metal plate over them and they will be done..

The vinyl is a bit thinner than the original stuff and the grain while not too bad is not overly close to being correct..... but for 30 bucks I reckon they are pretty good for a relatively cheap reproduction.... the fit is not perfect but a bit of pulling and stretching gets it pretty close....

If they last a couple of years only...... who cares... for 30 bucks I'll just buy another one and replace it..... if they last longer... bargain.

Banned
    Thats the same cover I used. I thought they were pretty good also as far as workmanship and fit went. $30 that was good value

Nice job also Absinth.

HJ-Z front indicator housings are crap.
    the chrome paint falls off after about 3 years.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Cruiser
    I bought a rear outer beaver panel for my van. The fit was OK but there is no recess around the hole where the spare tyre winch handle goes through. The hole itself is not a biggy, the problem is that when you go to spot weld around the hole its too far away from the inner panel. I ended up cutting the recessed area out of the original beaver panel and welded it into the new one. It turned out to be a bit more work than I'd anticipated but fitted pretty good nonetheless.

Thread Information