View Poll Results: Do you consider the HBD Vans as Sandman's?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 31.48%
  • No

37 68.52%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: V series 'Sandman'

http://www.amcat.com.au/index.php?p=2_1_0_53

Hmmm maybe not available.....might be a special order

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    I got curious today if Holden still offer the canopy...or are able to get one through them. After being on hold for 10min the spare parts bloke said no......best try aftermarket and said he wouldnt have a clue where to start looking. So however many canopies are out there, thats all there are...if you're so inclined to get one

the canopies were/are installed by a company in melbourne and badged HBD or what ever. they cannot be freighted interstate (too fragile and need a trained tech to fit them apparently!) the ute has to go to them and custom fit... they still do them for vu-vz and now VE. big big money. i called around 18 months ago and they wanted 6 or 7 k

--- Updated ---

thats the blokes alien! nice link dude
    BQZ

The story as I heard or remember it ...

The original canopy was made by FTP Pty Ltd. Of which Christopher Wood was a director. They were under contract to Holden directly (not HBD). This fiberglassing company was set up after Holden approached them to make the (1 off) "MAMBO SANDMAN" for the 2000 Motor Show. It was such a success that they were put into production. Although never promoted or marketed correctly.
    Chris left the company part way through the contract (sold out). Some time before the end of VZ model FTP Pty Ltd went bust and all things made to auction where Chris Wood purchased the remnants and started producing them under the AMCAT name (with some small modifications and improvements). He also continues to supply and support the spare parts for these models either direct or through your Holden dealership. Later he designed and released the VE version and offered it to Holden once again. By this time GM Corp USA was in major financial trouble and as Holden's parent company Holden was not "allowed" even if they wanted to, continue with the "Sandman" canopy conversion. Though you can order the conversion through any Holden dealership to this day. AMCAT though, has to honor the 3 year - 100,000 warranty directly as opposed to the previous V series models.

The VY SII and VZ 2003 thru 2006 are in fact a "Sandman" Holden call them that and promoted them as such.
    Real ones have a HBD compliance plate with the appropriate markings.

It's a real pity some people refuse to acknowledge these as the real thing!
    Not exactly sure why you would want to exclude the limited run of well under <250 Sandman Vans from the Sandman clan? They are not out to hurt the "original" '70's Sandman owners in anyway.

Completely different beast.

i kinda agree innuendo with the marketing point of view justification but old sandmans left the factory as panelvans, v series left as utes and had a detour to Chris and then became 'sandmans'
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i kinda agree innuendo with the marketing point of view justification but old sandmans left the factory as panelvans, v series left as utes and had a detour to Chris and then became 'sandmans'
    Yeah, they did. But the point is "so what"? They (these real V Series) Sandman's were sold as new by the Holden dealer. That's the only way you can have a genuine V series Sandman - via Holden.

I have a VY Van but mine is NOT a Sandman and I don't want to be one. I just wish people would stop calling it one!

hhha yeah mate there is a thread on here about sandman myths... plenty of donkeys think all windowless vans are sandmans
    BQZ

Without wanting to extend this debate much further . . the official Holden Web site has a link to concept cars on which they claim the original Mambo "van" to be a "one off Sandman Van". On the one hand I rather agree that it is a ute with a canopy but GMH obviously thinks otherwise. In any case a one off is a one off. Not sure what that makes the others?

i dont really care what people wanna call it...i love it!! i can also say i get stopped alot and asked alot of questions about my new van. in my van 'cecielle' the rear glass was removed from factory and a archway installed so there is access to the rear and its badged from holden by design with a build number. its a beautiful fit, professionally finished off in the rear, with rear demisters and light which operates when you open the tailgate. i love my hz replica just for the sound of the old 5 litre and the solid feel of it but i also love my new van with the comfort and factory performance it produces. so call it what you will i dont care, i'm just happy cruising!! jah bless
    EVEN THE YOUNG GIRLS LOVE SANDMANS!

It's a rockin'
    well said ,i was also thinking of selling my HJ sandman and VE calais and buying one to use as a daily drive ,at least then i will be back in a van instead of having one sitting under a cover going nowhere

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ns-Info-wanted

i have a coupla pictures on the above thread....i have just changed the wheels today i'll take some pics tomorrow and post em up
    EVEN THE YOUNG GIRLS LOVE SANDMANS!

Thread Information