Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Seatbelt purchased

New Seatbelt purchased

I decided to purchase a set of seats belts for the ute instead of trying to find old ones that work

So I purchased a set from rares

So I installed the seat belt With the bolts supplied went to tighten the bolt thought the reel and the tread slipped on further investigation reading the box the belt is for 1974 to 1982 so it has smaller metric bolts as the wb's would and if you want to use this belt with the original imperial bolts you have to drill larger holes in all the anchors

You would think to drill anchors with larger holes could be illegal and there is no way they would be safe with the bolts supplied
    Last edited by RodneyHZ253; 21-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Thanks for the advice.

So It suits metric vehicles and not imperial? Therefore not really 1974 through to 1979?

It's a rockin'
    i put new belts in my HT and my sons HQ prem and they bolted strajght in but on my LX torana i had to use the old bolts

So I fitted then using oringinal bolts and flanges

The reel and the stork weren't to bad drilled then approx 1mm bigger in diameter

The outer two fittings with the flanges so they could swivel had to be at least 2mm bigger so I used the die grinder and enlarged the hole away from end of the steel
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Banned
    So they don't actually suit anything then? WB had unique stalks so they are not for them either. They don't appear to fit HX so you might as well just buy aftermarket from REPCO.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    So they don't actually suit anything then? WB had unique stalks so they are not for them either. They don't appear to fit HX so you might as well just buy aftermarket from REPCO.
    You purchase a specific part, you would expect the fitting kit to be right too. Wrong or incorrect thread on the attach bolts is not a small faux pas on Rares behalf and should some goose decide to force the bolts into the threads in the vehicle, and subsequent vehicle has accident resulting in harm or death due failure of the supplied part who is liable - not the fitter of the part if he is not a licenced mechanic or accessory fitter (because s/he wouldn't put their licence/income on the line by fitting a bodgy bolt to a seatbelt) - Rares is liable through current product liability laws.

It is illegal to modify or adapt a seat belt attach point in NSW without a compliance statement/certificate from a consulting engineer (unless the kit has a blanket approval as compliant) - this includes tapping or drilling the threads to accept a differnt bolt. This hasn't changed since I wrote and signed my last pink slip in 1996.

However, should there be a statement or instruction in the box specific to imperial threaded vehicles to either use the original bolt/s or source new items themselves then blame/risk falls back onto the installer.

Regards,

Dave.

Edit: I may not have it quite right about the modify/adapt part... From what I remember the wording of the reg was "modify or adapt away from a standard configuration" which might include tapping out the thread to a larger size. Might be worthwhile anyone needing to that to their seatbelt attach points talking to their local AIS but I can't see any issue with running a tap through a thread to clean it up if it was burred.

Dave.
    Last edited by Taily; 22-07-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: More info...
    Nunc est bibendum...

According to the Rares website.

This part FITS. Hj Holden. Hq Holden. HX Holden. HZ Holden.

Perhaps they need to brush up on the definition of "fits".

--- Updated ---

Interestingly, while googling that part number I came across the online store for "Spectrum Rubber" which was identical in every way to the Rare Spares online store (apart from the name at the top).

Why would they have 2 separate websites trading under the same name? Trying to sell to customers who swore they'd never buy from Rares again?

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    i put new belts in my HT and my sons HQ prem and they bolted strajght in but on my LX torana i had to use the old bolts
    Me too had to use old bolts as the thread was all f**** up????

Cruiser
    After reading I am glad I had my originals reco from the mob in WA.

Yep me too, okay not original style webbing and not 100% the same as original sewing patterns due to changes in seatbelt laws but they look fantastic and compliant.
    Nearly on the Road

Thread Information