Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged ID plate repair....

Learner Driver

Damaged ID plate repair....

Hi all,

looking for ideas on recovering my HK Monaro's damaged big tag, as you can see it was removed by some heavy handed person with a chisel.
    When I bought the car it was in the glove box, owner had removed it for security.... thanks...

the ideas i've had so far are -

Stailess mould repair man - but the one I have spoken to is not confident

Jewler - have not been able to find one that knows what im talking about

Stick it on as is - will look crap (and if you've ever been to a car show, this is what all the people who know there stuff want to see)

Restored a few cars now and never had to worry about this sort of problem, we can repair, rebuild and repaint just about any other part of the cars,

But this is....well, crap!!! Any thoughts would be great

P.S. I have seen the blanks on Ebay, but they're not HK (have spots at the bottom for eng. trans. diff. etc..)

Sandman Guru
    Talk to Harrisons in QLD. They can get them redone. You need certain stuff to qualify to get it done, and it costs a substantial amount of coin.

I myself think that the look of the tags is half that coolness about them. Your going to have this nice restored car. But the tags will show some of the age and the effort you went to restoring it! I would have thought a jewler would be the go. They will never be perfect. But like said thats whats good about them!

PS there is holes in your plates! bugger! hahaha (greyed out sections)

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the thoughts,
    HK1837, could you plase tell me more about 'Harrisons, Qld'
    Cheers.

Sandman Guru
    Google them.

i "might" be able to help you out

let me talk to a couple of people

Learner Driver
    Funny you should mention those guys, HK1837. I dropped in there the other day to enquire about the HQ GTS guards etc that they have been advertising as "coming soon" for a while now. Seems they are nowhere near being able to offer a heap of the products that they've been advertising, in my opinion, I wont be going back to enquire again... Sorry to hijack thread. I would agree, jeweller would seem a good place to start to repair that tag.

Sandman Guru
    They may be slack on parts, but they are the ones with access to the tag reproducers.

talked to my jeweller mate and he said no problem
    still need to talk to another person - will try and see him today

Mr. Rare Spares
    Quote Originally Posted by xagtsedan View Post
    Funny you should mention those guys, HK1837. I dropped in there the other day to enquire about the HQ GTS guards etc that they have been advertising as "coming soon" for a while now. Seems they are nowhere near being able to offer a heap of the products that they've been advertising, in my opinion, I wont be going back to enquire again... Sorry to hijack thread. I would agree, jeweller would seem a good place to start to repair that tag.
    We have a new pair of repro HQ GTS fenders at our R&D factory as well as a new front panel.
    The bad news is that they do not fit very well, the good news is that we are modifying them to fit, when finished we will send them to the manufacturer to modify the tooling .
    We will also be sending a HJ ute as we will be making the rear Quarter panels , there is also a possibility that we will make the upper tailgate for the vans
    On the subject of the tag we had a meeting with various rego people and police sometime ago about bringing into Australia repro bodies, it was mention during that meeting that once a tag is damaged or removed from a car it cannot be repaired or replaced , I do not know how well this is enforced.
    Last edited by QUP; 20-07-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: delete double up

Thread Information