Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HZ Sandman Van

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Something doesn't look right with the door to guard edge. Maybe the stripe hasn't been wrapped around?

Looks good with the stripes on. I like HQ/J stripes on HQ's and HJ's and HX/Z Stripes on HX's and HZ's (funny that!).
    But I'm not all anti Green like Byron, my Byron Green is Red.

Regards, Smooth
    Not all greens are bad in my eyes, just the bright pastel ones! I don't mind Monterey Green or Jade Green. Just don't like Barbados Green, Jamaica Lime, Mint Julip, Panama Green, Supermint or Sage Green. Having said that if the right combination Sandman came up for me at the right price i'd still have it in those colours, I just wouldn't pay the same $ as I would for a colour I liked better. If it needed painting it wouldn't get painted in its original colour either. Each to their own!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Not all greens are bad in my eyes, just the bright pastel ones! I don't mind Monterey Green or Jade Green. Just don't like Barbados Green, Jamaica Lime, Mint Julip, Panama Green, Supermint or Sage Green. Having said that if the right combination Sandman came up for me at the right price i'd still have it in those colours, I just wouldn't pay the same $ as I would for a colour I liked better. If it needed painting it wouldn't get painted in its original colour either. Each to their own!
    Pretty well known thing (at least around the dealerships that I have either frequented or worked at) was that you could have a yard full of cars every colour, the green one would be the last to drive out the gate. I don't know if that is true any more (I doubt it) but for the life of me don't understand it.

I personally like each model with its own stripes and actually like Jamaica Lime right up there with Absinth Yellow. The H and W series vans and utes (to me) don't really look their best in red or really dark colours like tuxedo either (blue the exception) but hey, each to their own and I'll never bag someone out for building what they dream of!

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    When I bought my CV8 in 2006 I was looking for quicksilver, devil or redhot and could have had a hothouse green one for significantly cheaper - like $5-$7k in $35k. Yards and for sale ads were full of them at low prices. So the phenomena was still around then. But some people love the colour, and good. Otherwise life would be boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Something doesn't look right with the door to guard edge. Maybe the stripe hasn't been wrapped around?

Looks good with the stripes on. I like HQ/J stripes on HQ's and HJ's and HX/Z Stripes on HX's and HZ's (funny that!).
    But I'm not all anti Green like Byron, my Byron Green is Red.

Regards, Smooth
    What you can see there is a bit of masking tape. I put it there to help hold the decal in place rather than just rely on the glue.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    What you can see there is a bit of masking tape. I put it there to help hold the decal in place rather than just rely on the glue.
    That explains that! I knew something wasn't right.
    Looks great with the blue stripes.

Regards, Smooth

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Fair enough, but none are really pastel. They are just solid colours. I don't like all greens either, but just about all shades are better then any shade of Red in my eyes. But then again I'm not a sheep and never follow. I own many green cars and truly never set out to buy any Green cars. It's just how it ended up.

Barbados is a fantastic psychedelic '70's colour just perfect for a HQ Sandman. I love it! Fit's the era perfectly.
    Same for Orange in the mid to late '70's.

Yup, each to their own. Whether it effects price and sales (of Sandman's)? That's debatable...
    Quality cars regardless of colour sell well.

Regards, Smooth

Sandman Guru
    You are right, today the quality of the car will outweigh the colour on cars this old. As I said if the right combination came up in the right condition in green i'd buy it, but i'd still hold back on price a fraction. And if it needed paint i'd do it another colour. HQ probably Orchid or Saffron. HJ probably Satin Mist or Absinth or even Sepia, HX maybe Royal Plum and HZ maybe Ultra Blue.

013.jpg
    All back together except for the door locks and door trims. Then out with the 350 Chev and in with the original 308 and M21.

Sandman Driver
    Great find JDT and great job, enjoy your van thanks for the pic's...(not my personal preference for colour or model but in saying that I would still drool over it because its a Holden Sandman)

Thread Information