Thread: 1974 HJ Sandman

Learner Driver

1974 HJ Sandman

Can anyone tell me how to find out the build number of my Sandman. e.g. no. 1, no. 2, etc.

Welcome to the site.

I don't believe that such records are kept, because sandmans were produced alongside other vehicles and the sequential numbers didn't distinguish that it was the first sandman etc

However, there are several guys on here that collect data from the ID plates and could tell you how early yours is compared to others that they have on their records. That having been said, the data that has been collected is probably only the tip of the iceberg compared to all the sandmans that were originally built. So even if yours is the 1st they have recorded, it is no guarantee it was the first Hj ever, another earlier one could pop up.

Put up all the numbers off the ID plates and someone will let you know.

Build numbers are for knob jockeys who drive HSV's and FPV's. Sandman' are for real men who don't give a rats about stuff like that and just want to drive a cool car.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    Build numbers are for knob jockeys who drive HSV's and FPV's. Sandman' are for real men who don't give a rats about stuff like that and just want to drive a cool car.

Now how could you possibly argue with that???

Sandman Driver
    Not me...

All jokes and digs aside as per @Sandro - put the numbers up from your ID plates and will definitely find out some more info from our members.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    However, there are several guys on here that collect data from the ID plates and could tell you how early yours is compared to others that they have on their records. That having been said, the data that has been collected is probably only the tip of the iceberg compared to all the sandmans that were originally built. So even if yours is the 1st they have recorded, it is no guarantee it was the first Hj ever, another earlier one could pop up.

Banned
    Unfortunately numbers mean everything when identifying a Sandman. The order they were built in is irrelevant though really.

Sandman Guru
    There was no order as they were built at 4 x different assembly plants and not always from a body constructed at that assembly plant. And they were not a limited edition either. Even when GMH did a limited edition (like the HX LE coupe) they didn't even number them. On top of that when a car starts construction it rarely finished and left the line in the same order it started relative to others.

Seven82 motors were selling a yellow van in last year or 2 and claimed it was the earliest known HJ Sandman. If someone bought this car they would be asking on hereto verify claims. Not saying that HJ74 bought the seven82 van, but you never know

Learner Driver
    Thanks for your help, I'll get the numbers and put them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Welcome to the site.

I don't believe that such records are kept, because sandmans were produced alongside other vehicles and the sequential numbers didn't distinguish that it was the first sandman etc

--- Updated ---

WTF!!!

Thread Information