Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadrajet carby's for HJ Sandman

Quadrajet carby's for HJ Sandman

Hi guys, looking to get the right quady for my 5th month 76 HJ sandman. Just wondering if it is supposed to have the fuel line coming straight out the front or a right angle out the front of the carby? Any numbers too would help in getting the right one. Thanks Mark

Sandman Guru
    Mark

Does it have ADR27 or ADR27A on the ADR tag?

Is it an auto or manual?

Hi Byron, on the big tag it states 1,2,3,4C,5B,6,7,8,10B,11,12,14,15,16,18,20,21,22A, 23,2425,28 hope this is the one you mean. Also you wanted the chassis number a while ago for your register, it is BHJ 15961 M if you need the other numbers for the tags they were posted a while ago in my old posts. It is a 4 spd manual thanks mate

Sandman Guru
    I forgot HJ commercials don't have to comply with ADR27, but they got the same engines as the HJ passenger vehicles. Being a 1/75 onwards HJ it will have a 7045281 carby, there is one on Ebay right now. All 308's on HJ and LH from 1/75 through to when the very last HJ's got ADR27A carbies had the same carby, regardless of manual or auto. Problem is on these carbies you are fighting with the Torana w@nkers that think that SLR5000's are more special than they really are and hence buy these and sell them off at a premium as SLR5000 carbies which is partly true, but they also suit all HJ with 308. Most other timeframes had separate carbies for manual and auto but you are lucky in this respect. You might want to find the 4 digit code after this number as you need it to be before 5/76.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rochester...item43b0cfef3f

The carbs look pretty much like a HQ carby (which carried on into 1974 HJ) except the fuel bowl is sealed. This Ebay auction below has one of each type in it, the LH carby is the sealed fuel bowl type and the RH one is vented - see the metal cover over the vent just to the left of the accelerator pump? The LH one is missing the cover as it isn't needed. These carbs may not be what you want, just show the vent.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-QU...item4ab7319952

Did you figure out if your van was a Sandman or not? I'd given it little chance being a commercial tyred HJ van. Does it have the HJ centre console brackets? These are pretty hard to fake as they are unique to HJ.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Problem is on these carbies you are fighting with the Torana w@nkers that think that SLR5000's are more special than they really are and hence buy these and sell them off at a premium as SLR5000 carbies which is partly true, but they also suit all HJ with 308.
    haha those SLR5000's.... everything on them was a limited homologation item. That's why replicas pull 20k-30k and real ones over 50k. So many of them are advertised as SLR5000's and the plates list them as 253's. Wouldnt someone look beyond the bolt-on flairs.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    Very few SLR5000's even got flares, only those optioned as L34 or A9X had flares!

haha I know but bolt a set on and you have a limited edition race car... :-)

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    Yep, them big block Opel LH Toranas and LX Sunbirds were real performance cars.

Hi Byron, thanks for all the info, i really appreciate it. I think i might have a couple of hq carby's in the shed, i'll have a look tomorrow and let u know what they are. Ive have them for about 25 years, i know one has the vent and the other doesn't, both fuel line comes out on the angle. In regards to my car, i'm pretty convinced it's a sandman, it has the ribbed bit at the back for hood lining, it also has like teeth type angle prongs sticking out of the steel roof support behind your head, it has the console mounts which are genuine, door switches, and it has a wiper dwell which i havent seen b4, it has the wiper switch on the dash with a round dwell pot to adjust the dwell speed which you can also push in for the wiper washers, is this correct? Is ther anything else i can look for t confirm? Anyway i'll get back to you tomorrow with th carby numbers

Sandman Guru
    Sounds like an XU3 Sandman to me, but door switches aren't part of HJ Sandman - they have just been optioned. The wiper dwell was standard on almost all V8 HJ from 3/76 onwards, also on some 6cyl combinations. It became an option in HX using a separate patch harness but in HJ it was part of the main harness so they made it standard for some build configurations.

Thread Information