Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator, repair or replace?

Radiator, repair or replace?

Hi All just noticed on my wb a bit of the solder on the tanks is starting to let go and leaking when hot(couple of drips)
    I think it has the original 3 core natrad radiator in it (copper). do you think it would be better to get it repaired (31 years old) or get on of those aluminium one on Fleabay
    or does anyone know of a price or good relacements,
    have not heard to may good reports about the alloy ones working with cast iron engines.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Its one of those things that is on condition - ie; is the core damaged, how much corrosion inside it etc. The only way is to front it up to a radiator bloke and get it looked at/pressure tested. I have had nothing to do with the all-aluminium radiators now getting around but from what I understand about them you get what you pay for. I couldn't ever imagine that an alloy radiator will outlast one made of stronger base materials though in the long term, especially with the right maint/care.
    Nunc est bibendum...

I paid about $300 for a brand new aftermarket radiator less then 12 months ago. Was cheaper then getting mine repaired.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

I had original copper recoded and it cost $450,but he said it will outlast the cheap Chinese imports.

ive got a brand new natra rad for my ute, v8 copper 3 core, i think it was 450, but i didnt have another 3 core to fix, its huge, very thick, with falcon twin thermos, itll keep my little commy motor cool seeing as theyre factory pissy little aluminum/plastic rad, i think only 2 core, i was going to use aluminium but after reading up a bit on them there not so good, mainly getting eaten out becasue power running throught them from bad earths, i reckon if the original rads lasted 30-40 yrs why change? i could have got a smaller 3 core put into my 2 core rad but for not much more i got a brand newie, less than 100bucks extra i think, i got mine from Tony Reakes in dubbo, ill be going through him again when i get a new rad for my sedan, i think he was 15bucks more than the other bloke in town, but the other bloke didnt have very good customer service and wasnt particularly helpful

Banned
    Tony Reakes did my rad and heater core years ago. Still going strong. I went for a 5 row as I have AC. It was overkill though. Have trouble getting it to run hot enough now.
    It depends on how well maintained your cooling system was as to how rooted your rad is as well I suppose.

Cruiser
    Have you tried a higher temperature thermostat?

Also there isa product on the market called liquid intelligence..... The cleaner is supposed to be great forcleaning cores... As for he coolant its guaranteed not to boil... Its not cheap though...

http://liquidintelligence115.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Tony Reakes did my rad and heater core years ago. Still going strong. I went for a 5 row as I have AC. It was overkill though. Have trouble getting it to run hot enough now.
    It depends on how well maintained your cooling system was as to how rooted your rad is as well I suppose.
    The radiator is in good condition, always had coolant and has never run over quater on the temp guage on 38 deg days, but just noticed a couple of drip on the ground the other day probably the freezing weather we are having down here at the moment, i think i wll try to get it repaired as it looks like the solder on the top bit of the tank, we have an excellent radiator bloke down here called phoenix.
    All the core parts and fins look excellent and no sign of corrosion anywhere. Just thought i would asked as obviously the alloy ones are pretty cheap, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hqgts View Post
    Have you tried a higher temperature thermostat?

Also there isa product on the market called liquid intelligence..... The cleaner is supposed to be great forcleaning cores... As for he coolant its guaranteed not to boil... Its not cheap though...

http://liquidintelligence115.com.au/
    Yeah, tried two different temp ones, it either runs up higher on the gauge than I like or runs right at the bottom. Old ute needs a couple of days in the shed to do some jobs, like re-fitting the hotter thermostat.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The radiator is in good condition, always had coolant and has never run over quater on the temp guage on 38 deg days, but just noticed a couple of drip on the ground the other day probably the freezing weather we are having down here at the moment, i think i wll try to get it repaired as it looks like the solder on the top bit of the tank, we have an excellent radiator bloke down here called phoenix.
    All the core parts and fins look excellent and no sign of corrosion anywhere. Just thought i would asked as obviously the alloy ones are pretty cheap, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for!
    Get it repaired I reckon.

Well i picked up the radiator yesturday, both tanks off, cleaned core, re-soldered, painted and pressure tested, could not believe how cheap it was $100.
    The bloke said never ever throw out an original 3 core, they are so far superior to anything made now, he said it will out last any new one now.
    very happy with that, and it will give me somthing to do this weekend so i picked up all the new hoses and nulon 4 year just to make it a proper job.
    Last edited by buck; 22-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Thread Information