Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of questions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Nope, not a Polariser..... They looked like this:

Attachment 5856

Some of them might have boosted the sound a bit but the purpose of an equaliser was to be able to make better adjustment of base, treble and midrange sound responses. Many of them had a "loud" function as well. It was streets ahead of what was available in the 70's, yet so primative when compared to what has come later. An AM/FM tape deck with an equaliser and a set of 6 inch front speakers and a set of 6x9's in the rear was a pretty good deal in the mid 80's. Late 80's for big gains in sound - CD players for starters.

Sad, isn't it....
    CD players were 90's. I bought the top of the range pioneer tape deck in 94 for about $400. I couldn't afford the cd player, it was around $800!! A flash tape player had auto search function to Fast Forward to the next track. There was also AM stereo for a very short while in the late 80's. I have spent many days at a time listening to AM radio in tractors. I hope to never listen to AM ever again.We had no FM stations in the central west at all until 1991. That was the local ABC in Dubbo. Then we got Triple J in 1997. Wow wasn't that a revolution!!!!
    Last edited by wbute; 16-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    Our 8 track used to go in there.
    Ours was in a cradle under the dash with the balance knob mounted next to it. Don't have any photos of it or dad's Ferris mounted under the dash of the HG. The memories will have to suffice.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    CD players were 90's. A flash tape player had auto search function to Fast Forward to the next track. There was also AM stereo for a very short while in the late 80's. I have spent many days at a time listening to AM radio in tractors. I hope to never listen to AM ever again.We had no FM stations in the central west at all until 1991. That was the local ABC in Dubbo. Then we got Triple J in 1997. Wow wasn't that a revolution!!!!
    I bought my first CD player (one of those warmish $100 Pioneer jobbies out of the XF Fairmont Ghias and Fairlanes) in 1989. They'd been around for a couple of years before I caved-in and bought one and stuck it in my Boss 351 '71 Capri. I seem to remember Sonys being around the $400+ mark at the time.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by 79Z33L View Post
    V6HQUTE, thanks for the offer, but no not interested in parting with the radio or any of the assosciated parts, but PM a list of any Kingswood/Kingswood SL parts you're after as the guy I bought the ute off has a few Kingswoods he's wrecking out and a ton of spares as well. Thanks for the tip on moving the radio back. P.S. Awesome looking build you have there. Would love to see it when it's finished.
    ah no worries im mainly only after the chrome radio bit at present, ive got a few ute/cars/wagons so normal parts are pleanty about 9 or 10 i think but id have to sit down and count lol, even with a few fiddly bits like radios are a bit thin on the ground , yeah i think the radio looks better sat back a bit, i think i spaced it about 1/4" might be more cant remember, cheers, i would also love to see it when its finished, sick of waiting on the panel beater

--- Updated ---

CD players were 90's. I bought the top of the range pioneer tape deck in 94 for about $400. I couldn't afford the cd player, it was around $800!! A flash tape player had auto search function to Fast Forward to the next track. There was also AM stereo for a very short while in the late 80's. I have spent many days at a time listening to AM radio in tractors. I hope to never listen to AM ever again.We had no FM stations in the central west at all until 1991. That was the local ABC in Dubbo. Then we got Triple J in 1997. Wow wasn't that a revolution!!!!
    damn thats expensive, your tape is as old as i am , the boys at work listern to triple j all day and i hate it, i dont really listen to it tho, its more just backround noise when the grinders arent going, reception in the shed for any other station is rubbish, but if i walk 10m to my car i can get perfect reception on the both the good stations, dont know what it is, sometimes if the arieals in the right spot and you hold your tongue right you can get 1 other

Actually, thinking back you might be right. I do remember the unit I spoke of being a Pioneer one, but now starting to recall it being a tape player out of an XF. Memory a bit hazy about then (18-20 y.o) as I do believe I was into rather excessive amounts of grog etc at about that time before waking-up to myself...
    Nunc est bibendum...

i worked over time for a month in port pirie lead smelter, just so i could afford the Sony cd player to go in my HZ in 1996 it was very flash with 6X9 in the rear i think it cost about $700 for the whole set up back then on apprientice wages. sold the whole car with the cd player for $1600 in 2001
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Quote Originally Posted by hqgts View Post
    Ahhhh too funny.... Byron showing his age with the graphic equaliser.... Lol... Its an 80's version of an amp
    Well I knew exactly what he meant we had a pioneer graphic equalizer which fitted down behind the console against the tin along with the tape deck in our original Van. Rodney installed it, so you could reach it while in the back.
    Ah the good old days of simplicity cheers JB
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Banned
    My brothers XD ute had the flash S pac AM radio, and he fitted the even flasher mono tape player. Yep it was just a tape deck on its own.
    Car stereos have come so far it ridiculous. I saw the same head unit I bought for my hilux on special at Repco for $100 the other day. Its a JVC with blue tooth, hands free phone,cd player, wireless iPod connection and a remote control. I paid nearly $400 bucks for mine. Ouch. But the humble old Holden HJ-WB AM radio still makes nearly that much on ebay. Go figure lol.

Thread Information