Thread: hz trim code

Learner Driver

hz trim code

i was talking to a guy in hervey bay with a hz sandman panel van , and told him i have a hz van but mine is not a sandman because it has a trim code of 19v
    he said that is not correct as when ordering your car you could have any combination you wanted? he is emailing me documentation to prove this.
    could anyone shed more light on this
    thanks greg

Sandman Guru
    Greg

He is wrong, and does not know what he is talking about although he may think he does.

You could not have any combination you wanted, some were not available.

Learner Driver
    hi guru, why did they stop with the black 19v in the hz and why couldnt you option it

Sandman Guru
    19V was the standard black trim for early HZ Holden, EXCEPT if the car was either a Sandman or a Holden utility destined for sale in NZ (these got 18V). I don't know why the NZ base spec ute was given Kingswood trim, but I know why the Sandman was - this is because HX and HZ Sandman were meant to be a Kingswood specification vehicle. Hence the Kingswood trim, headlining, scuff plates, door switches, tail-light surrounds, grille badge, cigar lighter and bright rear window rubber (ute only). This is all well documented in GMH literature, which also states the HX/Z Sandman was going to be Kingswood based (as the HX range introduced a Kingswood van) but it was easier to upgrade a Holden van to Kingswood spec than it was to not fit the side strips to a Kingswood van to make a Sandman. Slate black (18V) as an option for XU3 and XX7 also dissapeared in July 1978 from the HZ ordering procedure and I have never recorded black trim 18V, 19V or 19W past July 1978.

Learner Driver
    thanks for your time and knowledge guru, im still trying to get my head around what you have said , so you are saying you could not order from new a 19v in the sandman even if you realy only wanted black? and you have never heard of this happening before ? im just trying to clarify this as i have other sandman owners telling me you could order what ever they had in stock thanks again for your time greg

Sandman Guru
    You could get black trim on a Sandman in HX and the first half of HZ, but it was Slate Black (18V) rather than Black (19V). The difference is the seat and door trim material. Black is single tone, Slate black is a two tone vinyl so it looks "off-black". It was the case from HK onwards where Belmont got single tone vinyl, Kingswood got 2 tone. This was exactly the same deal for the other trims as well, i'll give you an early HZ trim for example (HX is too difficult as there are bench seat codes to deal with). It just shows up more easily in black as they get two different trim codes ie 19V and 18V.

Example: 67V. In this trim code HZ Holden and HZ Kingswood share the same code but it has a different name (like Black and Slate Black) for the two luxury levels. In Holden 67V is brown. In Kingswood it is Tan. Like the blacks, the difference is in the vinyl on the seats and door trims. It just is more obvious on the blacks as the trim code is different. Same thing happens in HJ where 60V is Beige on Holden and Belmont and Chamois on Kingswood.

Note that 18V being the only black on Sandman only applies in HX and HZ. In HJ Sandman got the same trim as the base vehicle, so on HJ Holden Sandman you got 19V if you ordered black trim, but on HJ Kingswood Sandman you got 18V.

Quote Originally Posted by HZSMR View Post
    Not sure if this helps.. I have a HZ van thats not a Sandman which has a trim code of 18V
    That means its a Kingswood van.

Learner Driver
    thank you every one for your help

Thread Information