Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Rear(Ute)

Cabin Rear(Ute)

I've been thinking about modding my ute's rear cabin wall to make it run straight down from the window instead of the angle it is currently on. This will give me a place to put some speakers and a bit of storage, anyone done this and used the original panel. I have found a thread on Aussie V8 with some pics of the mod(page three has the best photo's. http://www.aussiev8.com.au/conversio...ification.html

I like the look of the current angled cabin wall, when these guys have modded theirs they have made it a flat panel which I don't like the look of. On the last page it looks a bit better they way that guy has done it.

Any ideas where else I can put speakers on a ute. I dont want them in the doors, the kickpanels maybe. Might not be enough room though. Could you possibly fit them behind the seats on the floor somehow?

I like the speaker in the vent in this thread speakers don't have to be large these days to be good sound http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...-original-dash
    Last edited by jennie285; 28-04-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

im putting mine down below the seats, where the jack goes originally, and another up in where the factory speaker goes to make it the sound a bit clearer, i dont wont to see a speaker/wire/cd player anything, ive copied a photo of google ill try find

--- Updated ---

this is the same link as posted on the other page, its post 206 on the link, ill have a few more speakers than this tho, probally 2 6x9s and 2 6" just speakers
    http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...-tonner-9.html

I can see how you could get away with that on a tonner but it would look a bit strange on a well back.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Yeah thanks, thats what I had in mind. I will put thought into the wall mod, but if speakers easily fit under the tray I will more likely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I can see how you could get away with that on a tonner but it would look a bit strange on a well back.

Mauser
    yeah i like the look in a tonner, nice and smooth

Well, I have been looming into this a fair bit recently.. I have been trying to find some decent speakers to put in my ute.

I am planning on making my own kick panels that have a small rise where the speaker is to create a bit more room, and the speakers will be put up higher up on the kick panel to hide them a bit more and also to stop clearance issues with the body and the accelerator pedal on the drivers side.. and then having just 6" speakers in there.

I have also decided to make up my own mounting board that goes across the bottom of the rear firewall. Its going to go from the bottom of the angled piece and to the floor so that it allows me to have enough room to fit a pair of 6" x 9" speakers in (1 on each side..)

and I was thinking if I can find a speaker that is small enough to br able to fit on the inside of the b-pillar. I have been looking at this and (I think..) a 4" will fit up higher (above the seat belt..) and still fit in the factory hole thats already in the pillar.

All the speaker grilles will be painted black to help hide them a bit better..

And I had a thought about the head unit.. Instead of fitting it to the glovebox and taking up all your space, fit it in the back part of the centre console and just hook up an IPod and use it to play the music.. That way you still have the room left in the glovebox, and a small amount of room left in the centre console.. aswell as just having the original radio player in the dash to give it that 'retro' look..

As you can tell, I have been racking my brain over this.. lol hahah I just don't want to spend heaps of money on speakers that won't fit and will show themselves and ruin the look I am going for..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

WB if your going to run an Ipod for your tunes and dont need the cd player, couldnt you just run a input jack somewhere hidden(behind the center console) and have that run straight into your speakers with out the need for a head unit. All you would need is a 3.5mm auxiliary to plug into the input up and walla you have music with no noticeable mordern tech.

I've had the same thought, I want the whole original look and dont want a new unit in my dash or taking up space in the glove box either.

Banned
    I was really sad at one stage that I cut my GTS dash to fit a din head unit. Now I am glad. No hassle with crap AM radio in the dash and a decent head unit in the correct place. Speakers cut into the door trims in the steel producing good sound. Bugger trying to fit it all in hard to get to places. Lifes too short to waste on trying to hide a stereo.

I got one in mine now and it annoys the crap out of me, I would rather just be able to plug my phone/mp3 in and play the radio/music/internet stuff from there. Way better than any unit that ruins the nice appearance of a HQ GTS dash.

Thread Information