Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Working out design and finish for malachite hz van

Don't know why Holden changed to a cable clutch after using an hydraulic
    set up from fx-Hk then changing back in the later commodores,clearance issues with the exhaust wouldn't help the cable much either.Especially with extractors.
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Sandman Guru
    They changed to mechanical clutch setup (not cable) as early as pilot HK's built in around September 1967 (nor sure if M20 in HR was mechanical or hydraulic), for use with M15 3spd and M20 4spd. Only the old crash boxes and mid 1968-1971 307/327/350 powered M21 4spd were hydraulic after that time (253 and 308 M21 in HT-HG were mechanical). Even the HQ MC7 were a complicated mechanical setup, not sure why the mechanical linkage setup was favoured after HR. They didn't use a cable setup until mid 1978 either and it was far superior to the old rat-traps or even the half cable, half rat-trap setup used in HX and earlier HZ.

When did they go back to hydraulic? Was it the start of 6spd boxes in HSV product in the mid 90's? I'm pretty sure my mate's 2001 GTS has a hydraulic clutch but I think the standard Holden LS1 VT, VX, VU or V2 has a hydraulic setup too.

We had a 97 VT 5l 5spd which had a hydraulic clutch,don't know about Vr-Vs though,But
    I think you have just answered your own question...

Jennie

You should have kept the original cable clutch setup and a Conmmodore/WB bellhousing - far neater in the engine bay!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    They changed to mechanical clutch setup (not cable) as early as pilot HK's built in around September 1967 (nor sure if M20 in HR was mechanical or hydraulic), for use with M15 3spd and M20 4spd. Only the old crash boxes and mid 1968-1971 307/327/350 powered M21 4spd were hydraulic after that time (253 and 308 M21 in HT-HG were mechanical). Even the HQ MC7 were a complicated mechanical setup, not sure why the mechanical linkage setup was favoured after HR. They didn't use a cable setup until mid 1978 either and it was far superior to the old rat-traps or even the half cable, half rat-trap setup used in HX and earlier HZ.

When did they go back to hydraulic? Was it the start of 6spd boxes in HSV product in the mid 90's? I'm pretty sure my mate's 2001 GTS has a hydraulic clutch but I think the standard Holden LS1 VT, VX, VU or V2 has a hydraulic setup too.
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Sandman Guru
    That will have been a Getrag in a VT, so if they were hydraulic the last cable clutches must have been the T5 boxes. I had a 7/2000 VS V6 with a Getrag, can't recall if it was hydraulic or not.

Jennie

You should have kept the original cable clutch setup and a Conmmodore/WB bellhousing - far neater in the engine bay!
    I gave it to a bloke who was broken down a few months ago I found him on the side of the road, in a nice orange daily sandman from Newy going to W wyalong, he was amazed when I cam back with it I think....but now I don't have one as didn't think it would be needed as we are doing hydraulic

On another note what do you think of this tyre. It's been the hardest thing to decide. Not to fat, fills up the guard without being too high. 295/50/r15's

Last edited by jennie285; 25-05-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by HQVAN View Post
    Great stuff Rod, I like your thinking on this one! And after two immaculatly restored Sandman's why wouldn't you want to do something a little different?

Maybe you could hit up Rusty for some fibreglass add ons, he is making up a mean L88 bonnet scoop that would look great on it!

Wide rubber on the back, lowered, will look tough as.
    Just re reading this thread and we got a roof mounted console from Rusty it's awesome he does great work
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Tyres look awesome. Is that the final ride height for the rear?

[QUOTE=panoz78;94983]We had a 97 VT 5l 5spd which had a hydraulic clutch,don't know about Vr-Vs though,But
    I think you have just answered your own question...

I had a vr 5lt with a 5 speed getrag box/hydro clutch. The pedal felt 10 times better then a cable but the slave cylinder wore out on me twice!
    Killer van BTW
    1974 HQ Belmont panelvan

It will go a bit lower once it settles Play. We may put a lowering block in later if it looks dicky. Thanks Hogvan and Thanks to all who have given us nice comments. We hope it will do justice to being a Sandman, and a custom built van mixed up together. I just hope I can drive it as its way more powerful than the three other old girls, without power steering. Etc.
    Last edited by jennie285; 25-05-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Rear tyres are spot on

Thread Information