Thread: WB mirrors removing Glass?

WB mirrors removing Glass?

Hi All, After months of trying to buy some wb Kingswood Mirrors, I finally picked up 2 on fleabay.
    Does anyone know how to remove the glass, or if its possible to get the mirrors out of the housings without breaking them. My mirror Bodys are in perfect condition but are missing the ball and glass, or am i just better off respraying the ones i got on fleabay instead of trying to take the glass and ball out?
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Hi All, After months of trying to buy some wb Kingswood Mirrors, I finally picked up 2 on fleabay.
    Does anyone know how to remove the glass, or if its possible to get the mirrors out of the housings without breaking them. My mirror Bodys are in perfect condition but are missing the ball and glass, or am i just better off respraying the ones i got on fleabay instead of trying to take the glass and ball out?
    If you press the top of the glass right down, it gives you a small gap down the bottom.. If you look in there, there should be a screw.. Undo it and then all it takes is a little movement/jiggle of the mirror and it should come out all in one piece and leave the housing..

Installation is pretty much exactly the same as removal, except it is fairly hard to locate the metal bracket into the housing..

Hope that helps..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Hey thanks for that, l will have a look for the screw when they turn up this week.

Sandman Guru
    I was playing in the shed today and found a pair of these mirrors. The driver's side one I converted to remote control using the mechanism off a TE Gemini many years ago. Works perfectly, just like a remote HQ-HZ one.

Quote Originally Posted by 83 WB_Ute View Post
    If you press the top of the glass right down, it gives you a small gap down the bottom.. If you look in there, there should be a screw.. Undo it and then all it takes is a little movement/jiggle of the mirror and it should come out all in one piece and leave the housing..

Installation is pretty much exactly the same as removal, except it is fairly hard to locate the metal bracket into the housing..

Hope that helps..
    Hey matt Got the mirrors last night, in perfect condition, easy to get out, but god what a pain in the neck trying to get them back in the original housings, i notice on the new ones, one of the 4 round lugs was missing to locate the metal part, had to do the same to the originals to get them in, talk about fiddly trying to see behind the mirror when your trying to get them in!

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Hey matt Got the mirrors last night, in perfect condition, easy to get out, but god what a pain in the neck trying to get them back in the original housings, i notice on the new ones, one of the 4 round lugs was missing to locate the metal part, had to do the same to the originals to get them in, talk about fiddly trying to see behind the mirror when your trying to get them in!
    Yep, they are great to get out but absolutley a massive pain in the arse to get back in.. :( You did the same thing I have one.. I had 2 sets of mirrors, one set that had good housings and cracked outer lips and the other set was the opposite.. :( I just swapped the lips over and am going to get them painted and have new glass made to put in.. I'm just not looking forward to putting the glass back in without scratching the new paint!! :(
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

I left the metal part of the housing inside the assembly and was able to pull the mirror glass off mine. It was attached with double sided tape. Made it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesygrinner View Post
    I left the metal part of the housing inside the assembly and was able to pull the mirror glass off mine. It was attached with double sided tape. Made it easy.
    How is the double sided tape holding up?? I have to get some more glass cut up, and might use double sided tape if it is easier to use and will not fall out..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

Thread Information