Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 into my WB Panelvan

Learner Driver

308 into my WB Panelvan

Hi everyone, I'm the proud owner of a white WB with a red 202 in her. The 202 has seen better days, it's getting me by but I am looking to rebuild a 308 and complete the conversion. I feel that with the help of a few mates I shouldn't have too many problems putting the 308 in.

I have searched a fair bit on the net but have been unable to find a clear cut answer with regards to the legality of putting a 308 in my WB ( I believe the WB panelvan only came out with a 253, correct me if I'm wrong though!!!) I have been told by vicroads that I can put any engine in that came standard with the car. Using vicroads logic I can't put the 308 in without a engineers certificate....

1. If I were to put a 308 in the car do you think Vic roads would pull me up on it when I go to change the numbers over?

Secondly, I have been told that I need an engine that "complies with emmissions", can someone please point me in the right direction to find out exactly what this means?

Any help would be great!
    Thanks!! cam

Hi Cam im pretty sure Vic roads will want the same as NSW, you will need to have correct emmissions on the engine and have it and have a engineers certificate. The best thing you can do is to call Vic roads and ask what their requirements

Cam, x 2.
    When i threw the Chev in my HJ pano I just called the RTA told them what i wanted to do and they explained what i could do. Very helpfull. Turns out i got what I wanted anyway, no hassles.

Sandman Guru
    All you need is a 308 from the same year as your WB from another WB or from a VC, VH or VK or later. Emissions gear will all be on the engine. Maximum engine size is governed by the sedan equivalent which is WB Statesman so a no-brainer, but you may need a sign off by an Engineer.

Banned
    Blue or black 5 litre will be the go.

Cruiser
    Have a blue 308 for sale out of a statesman only thing is I live in Wollongong so you would have to get it freighted down if your at all interested send me a PM, cheers.

any holden V8 will go in without an issue pretty much
    i ran into my engineer last week and asked about my WB and he said he'd engineer a big block for me if i run it on LPG

there's quite a few things you'll need if you're doing the conversion so youre better off getting something like a WB Stato and that way you'll have EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Have a blue 308 for sale out of a statesman only thing is I live in Wollongong so you would have to get it freighted down if your at all interested send me a PM, cheers.
    What you want for it?

Learner Driver
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have found a trimatic 308 with all running gear and gearbox from a VK commodore (currently running) for $2800. Does that sound reasonable?

I have asked the shop that is selling the package if they install, and he quoted around the $1800 mark for the install.

Could anyone in Melbourne reccomend somone to do a conversion for me? seeing as the car is my daily I am looking at getting it done within a certain time restraint.

Thanks in advance,

Cam

Bit out of touch with engines prices , but that sound expensive to me , last 253 i bought reconditioned hm 5 star was about $1650, i think and was about $2500 fitted including the engine. few years ago
    also when you look at whats around such as this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-30...item19d0414ed5
    Last edited by buck; 26-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Bit out of touch with engines prices , but that sound expensive to me , last 253 i bought reconditioned hm 5 star was about $1650, i think and was about $2500 fitted including the engine. few years ago
    also when you look at whats around such as this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-30...item19d0414ed5
    I have seen that one online, however I am not sure if It will 'legally' go into my car...

Thread Information