Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 into my WB Panelvan

not sure about the legality of engines built by hm 5 star and rpm engines as i notice the one i had in my hz was an engine number from a hq, but no problems when i informed vicroads of the changed engine no. Also i have noticed my ute has an rpm engine in it which has a QR engine no. again which is wrong for a wb, but no problem when i informed vicroads of the engine no change, even though the previous owner never informed them and the engine has been in it for 10 years, but both had the correct pollution gear for the time of the vehicle.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Sandman Guru
    You'll need to change the sump, pickup, mounts, dipstick and exhaust manifolds to suit HQ-WB.

Plus you'll need WB V8 auto radiator and hoses, throttle cable, exhaust and battery harness. The VK engine wiring harness should just plug straight into the WB's cabin harness.

For the VK trimatic you'll need a TH400 T-bar and shift rod plus WB V8 trimatic fluid lines.

You'll need a HQ-WB V8 ute or van diff as well.

Plus a tailshaft from:

HQ-WB 253 ute or van (or 308 manual).
    HQ V8 Statesman (not 350).
    HQ V8 wagon.
    HJ-HZ 253 wagon (or 308 manual).
    WB Statesman with trimatic.

You will be able to get away with the WB 6cyl diff and tailshaft but they are not right for a 308 and will easily break.

Pollution equipment will basically hook up readily from the engine to the WB canister.

WTF
    $2800 for the motor/box and another $1800 to install?? Is that right? WAY TOO MUCH ! ! !
    Unless both the motor and box have recently been recoed and there is paperwork to prove it. Even then $1800 for the install is TOOOOO much

do you have ANY mechanical aptitude ?
    What i mean is could you remove and replace something like an alternator ad /or starter motor?

Quote Originally Posted by toshy View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm the proud owner of a white WB with a red 202 in her. The 202 has seen better days, it's getting me by but I am looking to rebuild a 308 and complete the conversion. I feel that with the help of a few mates I shouldn't have too many problems putting the 308 in.
    From this im guessing that you could do the conversion yourself - with some mates

Look for a WB van/ute/stato with a fresh motor and convert everything straight from one car to the other - very simple

A quick sample (only using this as it was the first one i found with a recently rebuilt motor)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/wb-holden...item3a739c71be
    buy that, swap drivelines and sell it off (change dash and steering wheel as extra bonus)
    From what they're selling for it should be worth about $5000 and with stock dash and a 6 in it you'll get $1500 at least
    for a full driveline, dash and wheel that's better value

--- Updated ---

you could do the same with something like this and end up with a better motor package and probably still end up less than your original plan
    Although i doubt it will sell for $8000 anyway
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Wb...item256ee334a6

Or buy a runnig motor and x combolike this a iff it turns out not to be the best the rebuild it later
    if it turns out to be a cracker then huge saving
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-30...item27c61bdb3a

Banned
    Don't buy a commodore engine. Why pay a heap of extra money converting it to fit in a wb? Buy a blue 5 litre out of a statesman or better still the whole car so you get everything you need. You will pick one up for the money they want to charge you and you will have heaps of bits left over to sell, like the front.
    Why make it difficult for your self?

Sandman Guru
    Here you go:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...api=2&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965857 4294960238 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&sort=defau lt

get a WB statesman, clip radiator in, plug harness in. bonus power steer and air con.
    drop 308 blue and trimatic / T350 in.
    you should be able to buy one for $2500
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Thread Information