Thread: N model possible be a sandman?

Learner Driver

N model possible be a sandman?

Hey Guys,
    new to the forum and what a great one it is,
    I've been trying to workout exactly which model panelvan this is.
    From what i read here, an N model can not be a sandman?,
    and no HZ kingswood sandmans were built? maybe its a BO6 or XU4? or just a V8 commercial windowless PV with added extras?

Vehicle has all the normal sandman gear:

Windowless
    seat capacity of 2 on ADR plate
    RTS identification
    GTS Dash, steering wheel
    twin headlights
    trim code 18V
    factory V8
    floor shift
    Door Light Switches,armrest,full headliner,so on....
    everything seems to line up except for the GVW? and the model letter N which is kingswood....not a M for sandman...

HZ PANEL VAN

05-78

GVW 2200 SEATING CAP. 2

model HZ8W N 70

trim 1934-18V
    paint 567-30525

Eng L32
    Trans M20
    Axle GV4

Last edited by HZSMR; 29-11-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: vin

to the forum HZsm, I think it maybe what they call an ambulance pack, with a bit of luck HK1837, or someone who is more knowledgeable than me, will see this question, and be able to answer it, if it was M it would deffo be a sandman with the 18V trim. It still sounds good even if it isn't a sandman, can you post up some pics of it...
    Cheers J
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

It's a Kingswood so not a Sandman, but a nice model anyway. Slate black interior with Atlantis Blue Met paint

Windowless - means nothing as Sandmans and non Sandmans could be either windowless or come with windows
    seat capacity of 2 on ADR plate - means nothing as Sandmans and non Sandmans could have 2 seats instead of a bench seat
    RTS identification - all HZ models had RTS
    GTS Dash, steering wheel - could be optioned
    twin headlights - could have been changed anytime or it may be the B06 pack which I believe had a twin headlight front ???
    trim code 18V - Would mean Sandman if it was on a base model "M" vehicle
    factory V8 - means nothing as Sandmans and non Sandmans could be a V8
    floor shift - means nothing as Sandmans and non Sandmans could be a floorshift
    Door Light Switches,armrest,so on....I understand these would be standard on a kingswood but not satandard on a base model "M" vehicle which is why they can be an identifying factor on a base model.

Sandman Guru
    ^^Just about spot on. Just to clarify some of the above:

N is a luxury level, not a model. HZ8WN70 is a MODEL, name is HZ Kingswood panel van.

Not all HZ have RTS but most do. Tyre options on some models can change this.

As it is a Kingswood it will have almost all the feature changes a Sandman got: Trim, chrome scuff plates, tail-light surrounds, full length headlining, door switches, carpet, grille badge etc. In HX and HZ a Sandman is basically a V8 Kingswood van or ute with stripes and GTS nose (the only reason it was based upon M70 & M80 and not N70 and N80 is because HX Kingswood had side strips so easier to use a base model and add Kingswood bits).

My guess is your van could originally have been a BO6 Kingswood van. Unusual to find these in 4spd as they were normally auto, so it could just be a Kingswood.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the quick replies,

so its only the letter 'N' that makes it just a V8 kingswood Van even tho from factory it has the same specs and numbers as a Sandman?

I realize that most of the options were available for all models but wouldn't this van at least be a BO6 ?, anyway of telling for sure?

Was 2 seat, 4speed, windowless, 18V trim a popular choose in the HZ V8 kingswood range?... why not just have went a Sandman instead?
    were people that tight to pay the extra for stripes and the name on the tailgate.

last and final question did any HZ V8 kingswood rate at 2200? (XU4 & XX7 are under 2000 right?), anyone know the commercial van GVW rate?

sorry for dropping all these question at once,i do appreciate your help,
    Cheers.
    Last edited by HZSMR; 29-11-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Sandman Guru
    To be an XU4 it would be identical except GVW would be 1950kg. Not sure why you'd rather this, only difference is it would have had passenger vehicle tyres when new. XU4 to a normal Kingswood van is the same as XX7 to XU3 in SandmaN, makes no difference whatsoever to the value of the car.

N means Kingswood, nothing to do with V8 or van.

BO6 is just the Ambulance pack, which meant Premier nose and doortrims. Rest is basically the same.

253 was pretty common in HZ Kingswood (ute, sedan, wagon, van). 4spd a little less so. Standard box was 3spd manual with 253. 18V (Slate black) was common early on, disappeared half way through HZ.

M doesn't mean Sandman, it means Holden. Sandman isn't a model, it is a special vehicle package like Vacationer, Ambulance, Taxi etc.

All HZ V8 van and ute (Holden and Kingswood) that are not XX7 or XU4 are 2200kg. 6cyl are 2155kg.
    Last edited by HK1837; 11-04-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling

2200 is stock. 2000 was for a v8 van with passenger tyres. Also, i know your pain dude. I found an HZ van where ALL tags info matched (ie sandman spec etc) but it was missing some of the physical. roof liner teeth, chrome scuffs, door switches etc. At the end of the day i had to accept (however unlikely/rare) that it was an HZ windowless 253 4-speed van in Panama Green that was.... just a optioned up BELMONT!!!!! so frustrating. I reckon peeps are better off with a good rust free windowless that stuffing around trying to find a 'genuine sandman' because some models can be so fickle when it comes to identifying them. Hard to identify... easy to fake
    BQZ

HZSM - are you in Perth? there is a panel van cruise this weekend....
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HZSM View Post
    Was 2 seat,4speed,windowless,18V trim a popular choose in the HZ V8 kingswood range?... why not just have went a Sandman instead?
    were people that tight to pay the extra for stripes and the name on the tailgate.
    I forgot to answer this above.

You have to remember that getting a Sandman in 1978 wasn't easy. People would walk into a dealership and say "I want a Sandman". Reply would be something like: "OK, if we order today you can have one in 3-5 months. BUT, we have a V8 4spd Kingswood Ambulance pack van that you can have today for the same price. It has all the same stuff except for the rally rims, mirrors, chin spolier and blackouts but we can throw a set of rally rims into the deal." Buyer says "OK".

I know 2 x people who wanted HZ Sandmans in 1978. The first was a friend who still has his, but he couldn't get one from GMH. A local car dealer called Wayne Jackson used to buy 3-4 at a time new from GMH, customise them a bit (like mags, dual exhaust and side bubble windows) and sell them for a profit. My friend bought the least modified: a Windsor blue, Acacia Ridge XX7 with 23C trim, L31, M21 DL7 that simply had mags on it. Another who is a real estate agent I use bought a BO6 as it was cheap and there was no Sandman around to buy.

Nothing changed much. I went to order a new VY SS ute around December 2002. I wanted a white manual with leather trim. All they could offer me was dodgy colours like Black or Hothouse with normal trim, or a red auto with red leather trim. Or a really cheap VY V8 S pack manual ute. So I waited until May 2003. Others would have settled for the other colours or the S pack. No different to 1978.

That'd be HK1837s site.

Thread Information