Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HZ Sandman - white

Learner Driver

HZ Sandman - white

Hi,

From what i have read on this terrific site i am fairly sure the van i recently purchased is a Sandman. The person i bought it off said that the guy he bought it off 20 years ago told him it was a Sandman but he wasnt sure. Its basically sat in a shed for over 20 years, yet it started up and idled perfectly after i changed the fuel line that was all perished and freed up the points.

The plate says: Model. HZ8W M 70, Body. 399621-A, Trim. 1930-18V, Paint. 568-30521, Eng. L32, Trans. M20, RRaxle. GV7.

Other plate says, among other things, GVW 2000 kg, Seating cap 2.

Another plate (3rd plate) says 8M70RHH941548Z

It has a full roof lining and those curtesy lights at your feet on both sides.

In the glovebox the tyre placard sticker says 994686.

I bought it not knowing if it is a Sandman or not but it didnt really bother me as it is very straight and has no rust, although needs a new paint job and a huge vacuume where the cats have made it there home for many years, and it was cheap.

I also have the original sales documents and book from when the original owner bought it in Sydney and they confirm the same thing as the tags with the 18v trim etc typed on those documents.

Phil
    Last edited by phil in cairns; 30-03-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling error

Sandman Guru
    ID plates say is a Sandman. Two places on the ID plates tell you so (18V trim and 2000kg GVW). Nice find, classic base spec Sandman: 253 4spd, white with slate black interior. These were probably the most common HX and HZ Sandmans in the day, certainly were the most common I remember seeing. Not today though, they are just like Warwick yellow GTS327's, ie mostly gone.

Also, do you have the build date/month and chassis number? This is a significant car as it is right on the changeover from 1977 to 1978 when a few things changed. Chassis number should be around AHZ09xxxxS or is it a BHZ?
    Last edited by HK1837; 30-03-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Hi Phil... welcome.

Excellent find. :-)

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Great find Phill, Its a wonder since it is in Cairns, it wasn't built at Acacia Ridge, we too purchased a shed find, and have just finished restoring her...the engine starts, and runs perfectly, even though it too sat idle for yonks. Although since bringing her home to our garage, there is an oil spot underneath, most likely a rear main which is the usual....
    to the forums
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Learner Driver
    Build date: 12/77

Chassis: AHZ079355

Phil

Sandman Guru
    Thanks Phil. This car changes the rules slightly. Until now it appeared that HZ XX7 van GVW changed from 1950kg to 2000kg at the change from AHZ to BHZ ADR changes. Looks like it changed slightly earlier.
    Last edited by HK1837; 30-03-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Phil.

Start a thread and post some photos in the origional condition. We all like looking at the before, during and after shots of a rebuild.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Awesome. Post some pics!

Sandman Driver
    Good one Phil, enjoy and welcome to the site..

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Great find Phill, Its a wonder since it is in Cairns, it wasn't built at Acacia Ridge, we too purchased a shed find, and have just finished restoring her...the engine starts, and runs perfectly, even though it too sat idle for yonks. Although since bringing her home to our garage, there is an oil spot underneath, most likely a rear main which is the usual....
    to the forums
    Jennie H9 is Sydney build on skinny tag

Thread Information