Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: van nationals

van nationals

Ok i just bought the latest street machine an to my surprise there is no mention of the van nationals over here in w.a.
    but the 2012 easter van-in albury does get a mention whats going on street machine arnt we good enough
    whats going on.

It's a rockin'
    page 136 is interesting too hopefully they will have someone attending and have some coverage

They refuse to recognise their roots.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

In street machines defence, Simon Major busts his balls to have vanning stuff included in the mag, Bob Kotmel has always spoke about the van he is restoring, and there was a tribute to the van wheels days in their 30th anniversary edition.

Anyone is free to submit the details of their event to the spit and polish section of the magazine, perhaps this was overlooked by the promoters of the nats.

There on every easter how could they be overlooked

--- Updated ---

After all the mag started as van wheels

Here is a thought and ask yourself this, did the Panther van club or the VCV get in contact with street machine magazine to let them know about the nationals I guess not.
    On the other hand Rusty had contacted them to inform them of the van in at Albury and to promote it, and another thing Simon is not bias he supports both events and what do both have in common vans,I am sure that if anyone from the nats would send info and pics to Simon and street machine they would be more then Happy to put the nationals in there.
    In the end it is about selling and promoting your product,I do wish every success for the Panther Van Club with the nationals and everyone that enters.

Cheers Tony
    Proud Majestic Vanner.

Hi.. yup agree with Tony... (and yes I am a proud VCV member along with a few other clubs)... i have had the whinge many a time myself as to why mags don't come and publicize vanning events. But, there are 2 sides to the coin, 1. they can't be everywhere and if they don't have a photographer available or willing to do the coverage, they dont come. You can actually submit your own, so long as you submit them in a format they can use along with wording which yes, they will change anyways to make it fit. 2. Sometimes the only way an event will get published in a mag is when the promoters/clubs promote the show...
    So, in general, the nats arent promoted cos noone does it to that extent. Also, unfortunately, it costs money to promote with flyers etc... (just ask Russell or anyone else that has staged a large evant). When people dont cough up their entry $ till they arrive or the sponsors dont come on board or even leave payment of their sponsorship to when it suits them, or as in the case of the last nationals the so called going to be "major sponsor" dragged it out, then changed their minds about providing financial support and gave us a few goods to auction instead, the finances are not there to pay the bills. Not everyone has that kind of money in their bank accounts to pay out in the hope they will make a profit on the day and get their money back. Ooops, i digress.... summing up, your evant will not get coverage if you dont go out and promote it one way or another..... and at a guess, i'd say the info hasnt been passed on, or if it has, Street Machine hasnt done anything with it... the Australia Van Nationals are also a part of MAX this year... not sure if it's being promoted through them. Hmmm, i whaffled a bit so please forgive me.....
    it's here and I love it!!

Learner Driver
    Hi all,

I just wanted to clear up any confusion in regards to this. The Spit n Polish events section relies on organisers to provide the info (as per the column header) as part of whatever media stuff they are doing for their event so it may be worth asking the Nationals organisers if they submitted it.

It is to make sure that the info is accurate, as I'm sure everyone would be spewing if we published an event but got the dates or info wrong. I appreciate that its run every Easter, but the place/State changes every year so it's not really the same info each time, so needs to be updated by the Organisers for each year.

The Van Nats have been featured a number of times over the years so if it can be attended by the mag then it will be featured.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    They refuse to recognise their roots.

Mauser
    Honestly I don't think you could be any further from the truth; there has been more Van coverage in the last 2 or 3 years than in probably the last decade, and the Editorial staff are Van fans anyway. There's been plenty of recent Time Machine stuff and van related stories like Legends and vans pictured in events. As mentioned by Karl, we had a Van Wheels retrospective in the 30th anniversary special that easily equaled the AHRR retrospective.

There's plenty of more van stuff on the way but the biggest problem we have is getting decent and clear photos to use from back in the heyday, so if anyone can help please let me know.

Hope this clears up any confusion or myths about what happened with all of this.

Thanks

Simon Major

Well put Simo (as usual)!!
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Learner Driver
    Thanks Agro, I'm a Vanner too as some of you may know, so trust me, I will push anything van related with the mag whenever I can!

Simo

Thread Information