Thread: Maintaining your battery

Maintaining your battery

I do a bit of 4wding and camping but the Landcruiser and caravan sit for long periods of time between trips and the batteries run down. We decided to head up to Rainbow beach for the last long weekend and I jumped in the Cruiser to find both batteries were flat as a tack, I jump started it but the battery wouldn't charge up.... buggar.... $275 for a new battery. I now had three dead 120 AH batteries sitting under the house and needed another new one as the auxillary.... another $275.

I decided to spend the cost of a new battery on a decent charger instead and see if I could re-charge the batteries I already had or at the least maintain the new one I had bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CTEK-XS40...item4aa0c85313

I bought a Ctek 15amp charger from this guy in the above link on Monday and it arrive on Thursday (excellent service at the cheapest price). This is the best investment I have made in quite a while as it has reconditioned and fully charged all the batteries I have.... plug it in and 12 hrs later my 120 AH completely drained battery is fully charged.

For our Sandmans the one above would be more than sufficient to maintain the battery..... plug it in and forget about it.... they are smart chargers and will recondition and fully charge your battery and then go into maintenance mode to keep it fully charged.

I definitely recommend one of these chargers after using it, they are well worth the money and will save you money if your car is not a daily driver.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Yeah I bought two for the Brock & the Sandman a while back. Only a different brand. Got them from my local Repco outlet. There an excellant investment. Keeps the battery's in top condition. Hadn't started the Brock for about 3 months & it started no worries. Mine only cost around $60 each.

Gas On
    Gday,

Why not just use the cheapie charger for 24 - 48 - 72 + hours?

That'll get it turning, if you only fire it up once every 3 months.

...and put vaseline on your terminals...

Cheers

Trickle charger

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    I do a bit of 4wding and camping but the Landcruiser and caravan sit for long periods of time between trips and the batteries run down. We decided to head up to Rainbow beach for the last long weekend and I jumped in the Cruiser to find both batteries were flat as a tack, I jump started it but the battery wouldn't charge up.... buggar.... $275 for a new battery. I now had three dead 120 AH batteries sitting under the house and needed another new one as the auxillary.... another $275.

I decided to spend the cost of a new battery on a decent charger instead and see if I could re-charge the batteries I already had or at the least maintain the new one I had bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CTEK-XS40...item4aa0c85313

I bought a Ctek 15amp charger from this guy in the above link on Monday and it arrive on Thursday (excellent service at the cheapest price). This is the best investment I have made in quite a while as it has reconditioned and fully charged all the batteries I have.... plug it in and 12 hrs later my 120 AH completely drained battery is fully charged.

For our Sandmans the one above would be more than sufficient to maintain the battery..... plug it in and forget about it.... they are smart chargers and will recondition and fully charge your battery and then go into maintenance mode to keep it fully charged.

I definitely recommend one of these chargers after using it, they are well worth the money and will save you money if your car is not a daily driver.
    we used to go through batteries for the jetski...so bought a trickle charger...now we have sold the jet ski, and the charger is on the GT as it doesn't get driven much.....we went to Rainbow beach and stayed at freshwater on our way to Fraser Is...beautiful place to be......

Thread Information