Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fitting HZ GTS Dash to WB Ute... Help Needed..

I know after pulling the dash out of mine and replacing the lights behind the taco ,warning lights , blinker arm, heater fan fuse wiring,ignition it is best to coat all the contact with a product like corrode cure or inox as all the contacts on mine had 31 years of dust and slight corrosion, otherwise you will be chasing stray earths everywhere, a multimeter is a must you can pick one up from supercheap for about $15.00 they work just aswell as the expensive ones espiecally only 12 volts, i have traced shocking earths in the heater fan and in the dashboard and moved the earths to more positive connections like the body with paint removed.
    Hope this helps, only i know what you going through, it took me a whole day to find the broken wire in the loom for the heater.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I know after pulling the dash out of mine and replacing the lights behind the taco ,warning lights , blinker arm, heater fan fuse wiring,ignition it is best to coat all the contact with a product like corrode cure or inox as all the contacts on mine had 31 years of dust and slight corrosion, otherwise you will be chasing stray earths everywhere, a multimeter is a must you can pick one up from supercheap for about $15.00 they work just aswell as the expensive ones espiecally only 12 volts, i have traced shocking earths in the heater fan and in the dashboard and moved the earths to more positive connections like the body with paint removed.
    Hope this helps, only i know what you going through, it took me a whole day to find the broken wire in the loom for the heater.
    Cool, thanks for the help mate.. You wouldn't have any pics of you dash when it was out by chance?? I was thinking that there may be some other earth that I have missed.. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow arvo cause I have a free period at school last, so might sign out and come home and have a go at trying to fix it..

Its a pain in the arse isn't it.. lol I hate wiring, there is soooo much that can go wrong and it can happen when and where ever it like.. hahaha

--- Updated ---

Ohh, and repco didn't have a oil pressure sensor, so I have ordered one and its on its way..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    are the temp senders the same for a light and a gauge ?
    No, though in many cases the sensors will look the same or very very similar. The light is "switched" on by the temp switch earthing out and the guage is "sent" towards the high end of the scale by its sender allowing voltage to earth at a progressive rate as the temperature increases (by a change in resistance in relation to temperature of the sender unit).

Regards,

Dave

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by 83 WB_Ute View Post
    Cool, thanks for the help mate.. You wouldn't have any pics of you dash when it was out by chance?? I was thinking that there may be some other earth that I have missed.. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow arvo cause I have a free period at school last, so might sign out and come home and have a go at trying to fix it..

Its a pain in the arse isn't it.. lol I hate wiring, there is soooo much that can go wrong and it can happen when and where ever it like.. hahaha

--- Updated ---

Ohh, and repco didn't have a oil pressure sensor, so I have ordered one and its on its way..
    You should have an earth on your column near the ignition switch (I think it might also join the harness earth coming from the combination switch out of the column) and another in the black harness coming out of the quad guages that as has been pointed-out should attach to the alloy frame. Dependant on what harness you're using/adapting you may have another one near the clock (not sure of the colour of the wire). Make sure you've got the main harness plug together properly..... Guilty of that one myself a few times in past years.

Regards,

Dave
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    No, though in many cases the sensors will look the same or very very similar. The light is "switched" on by the temp switch earthing out and the guage is "sent" towards the high end of the scale by its sender allowing voltage to earth at a progressive rate as the temperature increases (by a change in resistance in relation to temperature of the sender unit).

Regards,

Dave

--- Updated ---

You should have an earth on your column near the ignition switch (I think it might also join the harness earth coming from the combination switch out of the column) and another in the black harness coming out of the quad guages that as has been pointed-out should attach to the alloy frame. Dependant on what harness you're using/adapting you may have another one near the clock (not sure of the colour of the wire). Make sure you've got the main harness plug together properly..... Guilty of that one myself a few times in past years.

Regards,

Dave
    Thanks for the info on how the switche work.. I would never had any idea on how they worked.. lol haha

Now that you said that about the earths, I went and had a look at the pictures of the wiring harness that I took a while ago, I can see the two earths that you are describing.. One is in the part that goes to the clock and the other is on the next part of the harness that is separated.. lol

Its something as simple as that that brings alot of people unstuck.. lol Well, they say first hand experience is the best type of experience.. haha well I can tell you those will be the first things that I hook up tomorrow..

Thanks heaps [MENTION=816]Taily[/MENTION]; You've solved part of the problem..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

Well, I got out there and checked all the wiring. Removed all the guages and made sure I put the wiring back in the right spot, I then went in search of the place to fot those earths..

I could not find a place at all that looked like it was meant to have an earth, so I earthed them to the alloy guage holder and fitted it all back in and started her up.. The battery guage still works and the blinker is gone when you turn the lights on.. But still no other guages work.. Ohh, and now the blinker lights don't even come on when the indicators are turned on... lol

So I have no idea on what could be wrong with it.. I have every wire hooked up to something or earthed and it's still not working.. I went an checked the wiring on the temp sender on the motor and it was a little frayed, but it still had a fair bit of wire left to make a connection..

So I think I will be giving the auto eletrician friends a call and hopefully they can work it out..

Also, it will probably help if I had a wiring diagram for the GTS dash.. So I am in dire need of a picture of a GTS wiring diagram.. It will aid the auto leccy friends heaps and make it easier to find the problem..

So please, let me know if you have a wiring diagram!!
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

I don't have a yellow needle wiring diagram but do have a white needle HJ diagram that, now I'm back home, I can scan and email you if you need it. Flick me a PM with your email addy in it and I'll send one off ASAP.
    Nunc est bibendum...

gts 2.jpgdoes this help, not sure if its going to be big enoughgts dash.jpg
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    I don't have a yellow needle wiring diagram but do have a white needle HJ diagram that, now I'm back home, I can scan and email you if you need it. Flick me a PM with your email addy in it and I'll send one off ASAP.
    Thanks mate.. I will pm you now..

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    gts 2.jpgdoes this help, not sure if its going to be big enoughgts dash.jpg
    Cool, thanks mate... I will print them off and try and enlarge them.. Thanks again..

--- Updated ---

Well, things are just going from bad to worse..

The guages wern't working, and now the battery has gone flat again and the car doesn't want to start.. lol

I have the battery on charge at the moment, and am currently trying to work out why it doesn't want to run.. I'll work it out though, it has spark and compression and it is firing so it must be that it isn't getting enough fuel.. But it is getting some, but not much!!

I fitted the oil pressure sender and that guage works now, so we now have 2 guages working Hopefully soon I will have it all working..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

Well, soon after I fitted the oil pressure sender we lost both guages that were working.. Just my bloody luck!! The voltmeter was working properly, thenit just died.. lol Now when the car is running the needle doesn't even move but the light is constantley on while the car is running.. But light is off when the ignition is on (but car is not running..)

So I decided to send the gauges off to get tested to make sure that I am not fighting a losing battle thinking its wiring, while its the gauges.. So they are sent off and are going to be tested over the next week.. If they need to be repaired then I'll get them done.. Just out of curiosity how much do you cahrge to rebuild the clock [MENTION=3]wbute[/MENTION] ??

I did notice while looking at some of the complete HZ GTS dashes on ebay there is 2 'prongs' on the back of the combination gauge that say 'Red - 5 Volt' above them. Some of them on ebay have red wires and plugs connected to them. My harness doesn't have these plugs, nor does the HZ GTS wiring diagram have the red wires on it... and I'm pretty sure that the original WB harness thats in the car doesn't have any red wires in that area..

I'll go and check now just to make 100% sure that there is nothing there..

The drama continues, but I'm slowly eliminating things..
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

I went and had a look, there are no red wires in that area of the original WB harness.. Did your harness have red wires [MENTION=930]buck[/MENTION] ??

Anyone have any ideas???
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:

Thread Information