Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some suggestions for forum

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    feedback - i have never had any success with the search feature. Eg yesterday i tried to search '67C' and it told me i was too vague or too general?
    There is a minimum of 4 characters required for a search. Otherwise if people typed in the word 'and' or other very common words like that it could break the forums. What I mean by that is when you search for something there is a database that holds everything on the forums - every word, letter, picture etc. If we have 100 people on the site and two people go searching for the words 'and' and 'for' just because they want to - the system will go through the whole database and spit back every post where those words appear potentially crippling the forum for others. (sorry long answer).

Also in your case looking for Trim codes, I would have to lower the limit to 2 characters, because not everyone would post a message that had Tim details as 67C, 19V etc - them might do 18 V, or 30 B. So searching for 67C wont register because it would need to find 67 C. Can you imagine what would happen if some knobber decided to search for the letter 'S' on the Sandman forums?

Anyway sorry for the long post but I hope it explains it. There is away around this though and it is called Tagging and I will get into an explanation about it later. But the short version is when you post a message you have an option to 'Tag' your post about its content. At the bottom of a post there is a box that is called 'Tag for This Thread' whatever you type in there (single words) to describe the content of the message will be recorded for people in the future to search. I'll explain it later in a how to post with pictures

Thanks for bringing this up, because it is a bit of a recurring issue for people to search the forums for info, but tagging is a great way for the community to make this forum a great tool for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Its probably a pain in the arse....but the theme (header) has always been in the HX/HZ style....how about we change it up for the HQ & HJ Sandman folks and could alternate between the two
    that is because that theme is the best yellow HZ
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

No it's not

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Its probably a pain in the arse....but the theme (header) has always been in the HX/HZ style....how about we change it up for the HQ & HJ Sandman folks and could alternate between the two
    Or a Ute?????????????????????????Its a Sandman site, not a panel van site right
    Last edited by wbute; 16-03-2012 at 11:28 PM.

^ Fair call

With or without tonneau clips?

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Or a Ute?????????????????????????Its a Sandman site, not a panel van site right
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    With or without tonneau clips?
    +1 for a ute, without tonneau clips , please

Another idea that might help new people who join and ask a question in the shoutbox instead of a thread. Problem is question doesn't get seen, not answered, new person never comes back.
    So I can make the shoubox not appear for new members until they reach say 5 posts or something like that.

Thoughts?

[QUOTE=HZSandman;38232]love to see paint and trim details added to site (not forum) sorry to go off topic. Seems lots of questions re paint and trim are now being linked off to Mr Jones (very usefull) site. Maybe a shaing deal could be done.

Same here. I agree it's not a forum issue, but I was just looking for the car colours and noticed that it was missing from the sight. I used it for many reasons.
    As well as seeing a pictorial of the car and stripes combined. A more in depth tim and car/stripes pictures like Mr Jones just for Sandman's would be great
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Another idea that might help new people who join and ask a question in the shoutbox instead of a thread. Problem is question doesn't get seen, not answered, new person never comes back.
    So I can make the shoubox not appear for new members until they reach say 5 posts or something like that.

Thoughts?
    Yeah good idea Blocker

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    that is because that theme is the best yellow HZ
    Nice Q or 2 would make a nice change :rapture:

Thread Information