Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vans on the train

P Plater

Vans on the train

While I was looking for HQ's on the trains I came across this picture and I thought I would share it here.
    Cheers Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow.. how interesting is that. They have tailgates, doors, windows in the side, bumperetts but no chassis.

You would think the front windows would be in them to protect the inside.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

P Plater
    I am not sure with cars from this period but with the HQ's that came to be finished at the Mosman Park plant.
    They were basically complete from the firewall back as in interior trim and all the glass.
    The chassis and all the drive line were fitted here as well as all the front panels (which were also painted here they came in primer)
    I also have a few pictures showing complete sedans.wagons and utes if you would like me to post them.
    Cheers Paul.

Sandman Guru
    By the photo title they are Elizabeth Body Assembly Plant vans heading to Dandenong Vehicle Assembly Plant. They are painted and hard trimmed. This is the same as how they came out of Elizabeth's BAP to be assembled in Elizabeth's VAP but they got sidetracked to Dandenong VAP instead. They will have Elizabeth BODY tags fitted. They will appear in the records in two places: at Dandenong, and also as a gap in BODY numbers in the Elizabeth records equivalent to the "pack" amount that fits on the train. After 11/77 they appear more obviously as a gap in the Elizabeth PSN's.

See that factory fitted side windows? Can't get better evidence than that!

Great photo.

few of them dont have side blinkers? well i cant see them anyway, byron shed some light???

Sandman Driver
    YES very interesting photo guys & yes Byron side windows from factory!!! would have been good to see this. V6HQ looks like you are right,I cant see any on the first 3 vans?? Thanks for sharing.

Sandman Guru
    They may be taped up, I can see a shadow there on the 2nd and 3rd van, first/last one (not sure which way the train is heading) appears to be not there. I'll look and see if any of the export vehicle packages had them deleted.

I reckon the sun is playing tricks with the side blinkers on the first 3. Not sure if it's also sun/shadows but I reckon I can see HQ-HJ Sandman stripes on the first 3 too. Anyone else see that or is it too early in the morning?

Sandman Driver
    Yeh I think you could be right(playwme) certainly looks like the block on bottom tailgate.The sun is havoc,need a good magnifying glass.

Sandman Guru
    I thought they were HJ stripes too at first (knowing full well that was impossible!), but saw the date on the photo and quickly realised it was shadows.

Thread Information