Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiper dwell

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Yes, option code CD4, intermittent wipers. According to ordering procedures it was mandatory fitment with 308 and 4spd on Holden and Kingswood from late HJ. Yet to confirm if this carried through to HX or if it became optional again. I suspect it was mandatory in HJ as the dwell was part of the wiring harness, but in HX/HZ it became a patch harness so it may have been an option.
    The old man's 4/76 HJ 308 4 speed has it. The dealer tried to hit him up for extra coin on delivery, said it was a extra option fitted. Dad objected, he hadn't ticked the box for the dwell wiper as an option. That explains it then.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Would have been standard on kingswood and optional on Sandman due to being based on base model in HX/HZ maybe
    I doubt this would be the case. HX and HZ are Kingswoods in every way except for what makes them a Sandman. Basically the Holden build sheet is upgraded to a Kingswood except for side strips and Kingswood badges and then the Sandman package is applied as it was in HQ and HJ (so dash, steering wheel, frontal treatment, wheels, mirrors, stripes etc). This is why HX and HZ have Kingswood grille badge, tail-lights, scuff plates, paint colour range, trim (inc headlining), interior lights etc, whereas in HQ and HJ, apart from the paint colour range only the Kingswood utes get this as they are already Kingswoods in build spec prior to XX7/XU3 being added. So if HZ Kingswood came standard with CD4 then Sandman would have too. By what others have said above it appears to have become optional again in HX.
    Last edited by HK1837; 21-03-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Banned
    So not standard on kings wood with GTS dash in HX/HZ then?

Mine has it :happy:

- 5/79 Kingswood with optioned sports dash (5.0 / T350)
    Last edited by Nocturne; 21-03-2012 at 11:12 PM.

mine's a 3/79 HZ and does not have one
    Last edited by SNDMN; 22-03-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    SNDMN

79 HZ Sandman XX7 Van Flamenco Red - out 'n' about cruzin'

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    So not standard on kings wood with GTS dash in HX/HZ then?
    I haven't found evidence to say either way. In HJ it was engine type related, not luxury level. So it may be that way in HZ if it was standard. It could well be standard with U17 dash as you say. More info needed.

EDIT:

I just looked in the HX and HZ features manuals.

CD4 is standard in HX only on Caprice. This is as of Dec 1975 and July 1976.

In HZ it is standard in Premier, GTS, Sandman, Statesman Deville, Calais and Caprice. This is as of October 1977 (Calais was withdrawn just prior to HZ release and released later as the Champagne Edition HZ Statesman. It was basically a Deville with cloth trim). Optional elsewhere.

The above saying it was standard in Sandman bothers me as there is no mention of it as a component option or feature change as part of the XU3 Sandman package (feature change is a change in specification to the base vehicle that is part of the Sandman package and not a component option. A HZ Sandman component option example is M11 console shift. An example feature change is bright tail-light surrounds). I looked up U17 (full instrument dash) also, which is a component option of XU3, but it does not mention anywhere that CD4 is mandatory with U17 when it is optioned on Holden or Kingswood.

So we have contradictory information. This happens a bit with GMH documents, as Robbo will attest with the HZ tonneau on HZ Sandman ute. So we need real world examples of totally original cars to see what the case is with CD4 on HZ XU3 and XX7.
    Last edited by HK1837; 22-03-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Info added

P Plater
    My HX van has it, and if anyone has an old IBM computer that can interpret the factory punch card(replacement for broadcast sheet).....first used in HX, I'm told, that will confirm it as well.

Sandman Guru
    Punch card didn't replace broadcast sheet. Sheets were still being used in the 80's. I'm not sure what they used the punch cards for, but they existed as you say. I'll see if I can find out.
    Last edited by HK1837; 22-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Hands up everyone who can remember using punch card commands in EXEC statements in JCL on an IBM mainframe!!! (The punch cards had gone but we all wrote code in 80 character lines.)

Shit.. no-one. :-(

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by SNDMN View Post
    mine's a 3/79 HZ and does not have one
    bought awiper dwell years ago at wreckers for my hx sandy has hj written on it and part number is 9932686 maybe info may be of some help still yet to put it in van

Thread Information