Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: GTS Steering Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Correction.... Early HZ Sandman. The change to the 3mm spoke wheels was Jan 78.

HX and HZ T bar Auto were available with the HJ style lift up lid console as an option, this option was not available on manual floor shift cars.

Answer is in the HZ parts manual. January 1978.
    My HX is a Turbo 400 Auto.
    HZ Persian Sand Mk2 Sandman (under full restoration)
    HX Chamois Monaro GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    ADR 25 is in reference to Anti Theft locks, it has nothing to do with steering wheels.
    You may want to refer to ADR 10—Steering Column;
    The function of this Australian Design Rule is to minimise crushing or penetrating injuries to drivers due to the ‘Steering Column' as a result of frontal impact.
    Blocker, there was a change to ADR 10b concerning steering wheel crush strength that came into effect on 1st Jan 78 at the same time ADR 25a came into effect. GMH used the ADR 25 and 25a as a way for service dept. to know which cars had the new steering wheels as it is a change noted on the compliance plate.

part number 2817164 (5mm black sports type steering wheel) is listed in the HZ parts manual as use prior to ADR 25a.

part number 92003716BA (3mm black sports type steering wheel) is listed in the HZ parts manual as use with ADR 25a

part number 92003716BA is also listed as superseding part number 2817164

image.jpgimage.jpg
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Banned
    Can of worms......

Just going by the number of 5mm wheels for sale compared to 3mm wheels you have to think more cars had 3mm wheels. HZ didn't sell all that many cars and HX lasted only one year. Just estimating that maybe 3mm wheels were available a bit earlier. Plus as van be seen they were a copy of a US wheel anyway so perhaps there were 3mm and 5mm being produced at the same time until ADR rules stopped 5mm production.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark
    The GMH drawings for the 3mm thick spoked wheel was first done in 1972. They are not available for display or copying. They have some slight minor changes noted which didn't affect the visual aspect. So it was obvious they were already planning the change at that stage. Bridgestone would have then tooled up for production and submitted samples for approval. After that the wheels would have been produced, shipped and installed. As to when the older stock ran out and the new ones installed it is probably not noted anywhere these days.
    I find that a little hard to believe Greg. Going off copies of original Ford tooling drawings I have I am assuming GMH drawings would be similar. I suspect the original Sports steering wheel drawings were for the 5mm thick wheel in 1972 and were later revised as changes were made, ie to a 3mm spoke... normally there is a revision date in a box at the top or bottom corner of the drawing and often a note as to what the revision was. I have Ford tooling drawings originally drawn in 1942 with multiple revision dates up to the late 60's showing multiple part number changes.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute
    Can of worms......

Just going by the number of 5mm wheels for sale compared to 3mm wheels you have to think more cars had 3mm wheels. HZ didn't sell all that many cars and HX lasted only one year. Just estimating that maybe 3mm wheels were available a bit earlier. Plus as van be seen they were a copy of a US wheel anyway so perhaps there were 3mm and 5mm being produced at the same time until ADR rules stopped 5mm production.
    I'd say there are as many if not more 5mm ones for sale on eBay. Can't really go off current sales anyway, the 5mm was used from 72 until end of 77 when the 3mm wheel replaced it.... The 3mm wheel was available until the late 80's early 90's from GMH and Then Rare Spares as a spare part. I bought a new in the box Bridgestone 3mm GTS wheel from Rares in Moss St Slacks Creek in around 1987 for my chopped into a ute Sandman panelvan because the original was broken.

I don't understand why people poo poo the parts manuals and say they can't be trusted..... Yes the illustrations are reused and not always updated but they are there as a guide... Not gospel.... The part numbers however are pretty accurate and if there is specific mention as to a part change you can be pretty certain it is accurate, particularly regarding ADR's.

part number 2817164 (5mm black sports type steering wheel) is listed in the HQ parts manual, it is listed in the HJ parts manual, it is listed in the HX parts manual and it is listed in the HZ parts manual..... I posted this info two years ago.... I posted this info again on page three of this thread and still people are posting later in the same thread that the 5mm steering wheel finished in HJ or finished in HX???
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Driver
    On fire Absinth!

Banned
    That's the internet Absinth. It's useless having the information on here when no one uses the search box.

Perhaps a fact page would be good. Fact 1 no WB Sandman. Fact 2 3mm steering wheels started from this date etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BURD View Post
    That wheel looks close to a formula wheel, even mounts to a hub that looks the same. Is that rubber or leather on there?
    Got any pics or a link to a retailler for the wheel Burd?
    Nunc est bibendum...

Leadfoot
    Absinth is correct in his comment that the drawings have a history box that details the changes made to a part number. however there are probably drawings for the 2817164 which are not in the remaining GMH drawing folders. They were probably removed or lost many years ago as we have been using the folders for some time.We are talking about the drawings for 92003716BA which we do have and that don't have any comment about a thickness change. They are 3mm from start to finish. These are what was used to make the wheels from.

Leadfoot
    Burd, your USA wheels look similar to the old way that Rare Spares made them before the expense of producing as per original. the Australian adaptor plates and fittings may be different. The centre boss outer surround on the Australian wheels has to match up with the column cover for both diameter and depth. The spokes on the Australian ones are dished and welded to the centre before going through the addition of the casting of the spline section.

Thanks for that info Burd. I went and had a google around after that post and found a reasonable amount of info and pics. Enough to realise that they are constructed quite differently (our wheels have a cast hub and don't simply bolt onto the hub, though I must say the leather wrapped rim of the wheels does look good!

Cheers mate!
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information