Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration Tips

Restoration Tips

Ok here's the deal. I've never done a resto hey I've actually never even changed a set of spark plugs but I reckon I can and I'm not afraid to give anything a go.

Anyway my project is getting bigger everyday, but I expected that however I'm at a point where I need some real tips on what to do next. Most of you have seen my blog updates so you know the state of my HJ van.

I did some digging around the panels today and came across heaps of bog and rust, so more panels to be replaced.

So here are my questions for the proven and experienced.

1. At what point do you decide the whole quarter panel needs replacing?
    2. Is replacing a quarter panel easier/harder than having someone fabricate and weld the rusted areas?
    3. If replacing a whole quarter panel, can someone show me where the seams are that would constitute a full panel so that I can search for an unmolested and rust free one?

Next- window to windowless.

as many of you have seen, I have a windowed and sunroofed panelvan. I have picked up a windowless HX and may pick up another windowless body (as seen in the Aquarius thread).

1. Where are the best places to cut the panels? Should they be once piece or just pieces to fit the existing window cut outs?
    2. Should I be cutting (or have someone cut) the side ribs/ support beams?

I know lots of questions from an amateur, but I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks.

that aquaries body looks better than yours. body swap??

tip number 1, jack it up 1/2 meter off the ground and do the roof last, because you will be over it by then.

get a double garage and put it in the midde of the double garage - you will need the room to work around it.

do not undertake the rebuild unless you have a good spot to do it.
    a car port is no good.

go and get a compressor and an air orbital sander and wiz it back till all unsecure paint is gone - this may be down to bare metal in some cases.

cut the rust out and get some replacement sections.

Banned
    Have you had a look at the HJ Sandman on members rides on fastlane? It is in the process of having the entire roof replaced. Good photos of the job. It gave me a few ideas.

thanks for the replies, but no one answered the questions... maybe you didn't see them at the end of my post. I've edited the post so you can read it all :errf:

Banned
    Saw the questions, dont know the answers. Hope someone has them as I need to know as well.

Gas On
    Gday,

Theres a thousand ways to skin a cat.... I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions on here.

I know rare spares stock all the common replacement panels, would be more ecconomical to buy than fabricate, unless you have a mate that can do it for a carton

If you do however goto the trouble of panel replacement, why not do a full ground up rebuild? Ie - Body Off Chassis.
    Monting Points, Chassis Checks, Body Rubbers, Alignment etc... after all, drivability / safety is more important than looks, right people?

In regards to your specific questions, well... I'd just bog `er up and then we can go for a spin, blocker

Cheers

Cruiser
    Blocker, my HJ has similar rust problems and I was considering buying all rust replacement panels from Rare Spares but after I had a panel beater come and look at the van I think I will just be buying a new rear beaver panel and front cowlings. The panel beater told me he can cut out sections of the sill which has rust and my van also has the rust behind the rear wheels which again he get fix this, his brother owns his own metal fabrication business and he will utilise him if sections need to be made up, I also have a hx ute which can be used as a donor for lower sections. My advice would be to get panel beaters to come and look at your van and get a few opinions and rough costs verus what will be best for the van long term. Like a lot of things in life it comes down to how much money you are prepared to throw at it and how long you think you will keep the van for. My thoughts on my own project are to do it once and do it right. I have been quoted approximately $800-$1000 for all rust repairs/panels etc including filling in the sunroof , mine is a windowless so as previously discussed on another forum you need to get someone experienced in tackling this job. I wouldnt cutting any donor cars up unless the guy (panelbeater) that is welding them back in had come out and shown me exactly where he wants you to cut them?

Only fill the window holes themselves. I did this and you would never know it had windows. No need to do the full roof thing or even the whole sides thing. Cut the side supports out of another van to weld in where the windows were. I think you have all my pics of this process if not let me know and I will email them to you.

Same for the sunroof. Little trickier though as they will need to get the curving spot on.

The windows and the sunroof can be fabricated easy enough.

Rust panels for most other areas can be bought from Rare spares and welded in. This is usually cheaper than fabrication.

Why not do a full body swap with the other van you purchased if it is ok as far as rust goes?

If you need to get help, get many opinions as suggested and don't always go with the lowest quote. Ask if and how many of these things they have done before. Always go with someone who has experience not someone that says it should be easy enough.

Thanks guys very helpful info.

I do have a large shed to work in (ex- bus service buildings) I have two pits and enough room to do whatever.

The question I am asking is for me to keep things in perspective.

I visited an abrasive blaster yesterday, they use garnet and work with vehicles regularly. Got some tips, because this project has always been planned to be a bare metal - body off resto.

Noobie question.
    Is the body and chassis blasted before panel replacement or after?
    If it's blasted after rusted panels are replaced or repaired, how sure can you be all rust has been removed considering this car has been bog patched?

with that much rust i would get the body blasted first if you cant find another clean body....

someone said something about patching sills...if a sill has rust at the front and the back replace the hole sill...

Thread Information