Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tags

Cruiser

Tags

Just wondering when getting your van sandblasted/resprayed is it adviseable to remove your tags or do most people leave them on ?

If it was me I would remove the tags. The GTR XU1 and Monaro I restored I removed tags, but its personal preference.

Sandman Driver
    It is personal preference, I took mine off then gave them to the painter a couple of months later so he could clean them, depending on your tags?? who do you trust?
    If you car/van is in another shed/town for some time, with onlookers. Make sure you get the same tags back if you leave them on!!!

Personel preference I taped mine up and left them there and one blew of and I nearly lost it, so I then took them of plus you can paint fresh under them .take pictures before you remove them so if any one is picking that they have been removed you can prove they belonged to the vehicle
    Last edited by jennie285; 04-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyHZ253 View Post
    Personel preference I taped mine up and left them there and one blew of and I nearly lost it, so I then took them of plus you can paint fresh under them .take pictures before you remove them so if any one is picking that they have been removed you can prove they belonged to the vehicle
    This is the best advice. In SA according to the dept of Transport it is illegal to remove the VIN tag off the body even for painting, however I have spoken to a few engineers at the Dept and they acknowledge it happens and don't worry much about it.

Banned

Cleaned mine and left them on.
    But I do like the idea of photographing :camerasmiley:them, just in case!! I've often worried about them comming off.
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Sandman Driver
    My preference is keep the tag on the Car/Van. Some of my mates, have genuine A9X, Monaro's and my self factory SS 308. Its not that hard to swap plates over theses days from one car to another. At least if u have the original pot rivets in place its more or less the real thing.

(have heard of people buying the old pot rivets now and ppl going to the trouble of gluing the plates on and pot rivets so that way it looks legit).

At the end of the day, its up to you to make that decision but if u were going to buy a car that had all the original pot rivets over a similar one that has been taken off. which would you choose.

i have always taken them off. Alibrite them, then autosol them. + replace rivets
    The new rivets get a cup of salt water and dip your finger in the salt water then touch the rivet, and when your happy with oxidation after a month or so auto sol the rivets. looks authentic..

old rivets fail, i buy many cars with a rivet thats let go here and there...you wouldn't want to loose your tags...!

Some Tags are painted, eg. WB's (all adelaide build) have vin painted, but body and ADR tag not painted....
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Sandman Driver
    but the new rivets are different from those used in the 1970's, so u would not be able to make them look original..

That's true that some tags were painter due to being fitted to the car for the build. But only one pot rivet was fitted to the plate so that way they could paint underneath the plate. Thats why the plate is bent and only one pot rivet was painted on that compliance plate.
    Last edited by jaft; 12-03-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Thread Information