Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Very first HQ Sandman

Another Brisbane issue? I still have my original console and have used it in the current van.

Quote Originally Posted by buickzz View Post
    Another Brisbane issue? I still have my original console and have used it in the current van.
    Mine is Adelaide... Have no reason to believe the console isnt origional. It came with it and the origional steering wheel cap. GTS Guards and Dash were missing.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 06-03-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    Possibly. There were 3 x assembly plants making HQ Sandman vans, and 4 x making utes. So who knows?

After further thinking (and without looking for evidence) I reckon a first pass theory might be that the HQ cars that came standard with console shift by 1/74 all had retractable seat belts as standard. Meaning the few odd ones out that got consoles but didn't have retractables (basically HQ Sandman) suffered without somewhere to put the buckles. One way to tell maybe is to look at the grain on the consoles. Early HQ consoles should be a Roebuck style, pebble grain vinyl looking plastic. Later ones may show the Caribou style (long grain) vinyl seen from 1/73 onwards on all HQ vinyl. Sound like a good place to start? If the grain didn't change with the trim in HQ, then maybe GMH did use up old stock on HQ Sandman, and these ran out earlier at some plants than others?? Only guessing here.

... I think it's everything out of the GTS\4 bin... The only weird component to me is the use of the HQSS grille. You wouldnt of thought they were just gathering dust on the shelves being used a long time before Sandmans.

Mauser

--- Updated ---

... I think it's everything out of the GTS\4 bin... The only weird component to me is the use of the HQSS grille. You wouldnt of thought they were just gathering dust on the shelves being used a long time before Sandmans.

Mauser
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Not sure about the connection between the console and the type of seat belt. The general brochure from August '73 H248 has the Monaro LS with then standard retractable seat belts but with what looks like the early style console. I was not aware of any HQ Sandman with retractable seat belts at the time but I would only have been exposed to XX7 vans and utes here in Queensland I expect.

--- Updated ---

When you consider the standard equipment in an SS, a Sandman is very nearly only an SS version of the van and ute with different striping and cloth inserts . . . more food for thought?

Byron has said the retractable seat belts only appeared on 1/1/75 in commercials. The interesting thing is what ends did the HJ have initially from 9/74 until 1/75 and that hasnt been answered. The console in that wouldnt allowed floppy ends at all so it must of had stalks when bucket seats were fitted (they lay on the seat with a benchy).

The HQ console may be like the introduction of the C grain in the HZ, there is no immidiate cut-over but rather a phasing in as old stocks are depleted.

The HQ SS didnt get the 140mph (220kph) speedo but did get the houndstooth seat inserts. I think the asthetics of the Holden badge in the grille lent itself to the all-black SS grille in the Sandman.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 06-03-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Sandman Guru
    No commercial prior to 1/75 should have retractables. The earlier type console is a near definite match for floppy buckles and the change to the bigger hole must be in line with fitment of retractables later in HQ. HQ Sandman was such low volume it got what the GTS got.

Definite on the SS for the Belmont HQ XX7 and the Holden HJ XX7. In my opinion a Sandman would have probably been an SS ute or SS van if the sports sedan stayed as an SS and didn't get hijacked into a Monaro by marketing.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Byron has said the retractable seat belts only appeared on 1/1/75 in commercials. The interesting thing is what ends did the HJ have initially from 9/74 until 1/75 and that hasnt been answered. The console in that wouldnt allowed floppy ends at all so it must of had stalks when bucket seats were fitted (they lay on the seat with a benchy).

The HQ console may be like the introduction of the C grain in the HZ, there is no immidiate cut-over but rather a phasing in as old stocks are depleted.

The HQ SS didnt get the 140mph (220kph) speedo but did get the houndstooth seat inserts. I think the asthetics of the Holden badge in the grille lent itself to the all-black SS grille in the Sandman.

Mauser
    I'll check out the 10/74 HJ ute I know of to see what ends are on it. It has original belts in it.

Just out of curiosity, were the owners manuals in the HQ Sandman any different than the ones used in Kingswoods and Monaros? Did this book cover the entire range?

errr yeah, ignore the grossly stained book used as an example

Sandman Guru
    They should be the same as the base vehicle. I have never heard of or seen a different one. You never know though, but as a HQ Sandman was the least modified from the base vehicle of all of them I doubt it would be different.

The handbook was the standard as shown in your photo Alien DNA. I still have mine from 1974.

Thread Information