Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Very first HQ Sandman

Sandman Guru
    Read up further (2nd post onpage 2) about how I know.

its like watching a forensic program on TV Byron all your indicate details...love it....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

rearplate.jpg

Picture of a rear blanking plate on a hq console if anyone is interested.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    its like watching a forensic program on TV Byron all your indicate details...love it....
    isnt it just....he knows Holdens better than i know the back of my hand!! Daily theres a new tidbit of info thats invaluable!!! 3 cheers i say

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Byron, Why do you think there is no blackouts on the beaver panel of the PV in the pictures?

The tailgate is hanging all the way down on the short hinges. The tailgate bottom lip is sticking up covering and sight of the beaver from the picture. The blackouts, I thought, went across the bottom where the bumperettes are and as such the lip bit going into the rear of the cargo area would still be the body color. In fact on this photo the vynacote cream extends past the opening. It also looks to have no upper tailgate rubber for aesthetics. I can't see the tailgate straps and hooks hanging on the sides either.

It is a Belmont van and the taillight surrounds are body colour and thats it for black I thought. The seats do have the wooden backing plates painted in cream as well. I did notice the console might be chestnut and any pictures I have seen of non-30B Sandman interiors have the black console to go with the black steering wheel.

It also looks a bit like it to me that indeed someone ran around the van picture with a razor blade and stuck it on the copy because the tailgate to bumperetts are too straight an edge.

Mauser
    You could be right, they may be obscured. I just thought there would be some tiny evidence of them.

I think the razor idea is right, as the van looks identical to the 11/71 brochure van except for the seats and console shift.

I have the brochures in front of me now.

The photo of the inside of the rear of the van in the HQ Sandman brochure (dated January '74) is the same as the photo in the December '72 commercial brochure. The van colour is slightly different. The photo angle is the same. It is unlikely that they would have got the exact same angle on another van. The colour difference would be easiily achieved even in the 70's (and was probably unintentional). The interior photo from the Sandman brochure is exactly the same as the interior photo of the GTS interior as included in the August '73 general brochure with the exception of the seat insert material. Including the small splash of red in the lower left corner. Again the photo angle is exactly the same including the steering boss insert being vertical. The light area behind the seat in the GTS may have been coloured out in the Sandman brochure as you can still see the door pillar line in the Sandman brochure. This would not have existed in either a ute or a van.

I am left with the original theory - the sandman photos in the brochure seem to be mock ups. Let the CSI investigation continue.

Mauser is correct, the console has a blanking piece in the rear to cover the hole as his photo shows.

Byron, by flat topped console I did mean the console without the full length depression/cavity rather than the earlier version that only held the seat belt buckles.

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    isnt it just....he knows Holdens better than i know the back of my hand!! Daily theres a new tidbit of info thats invaluable!!! 3 cheers i say
    Agree, how interesting!!!!

Sandman Guru
    Ah, so it is the 12/72 K94 brochure where the bucket seat HQ van photo comes from? I have the 11/71 K18 brochure where the photo looks identical but the van has a bench seat. They still must have doctored it though to get the console in it.

I'll have a look for the interior shot. Shame if that is the case, it would have been nice to have a photo of the first HQ Sandman, i'll have to make do with the ID details of the car alone!

So later HQ Sandman got the long cavity console? I wonder where the belt buckets were meant to go?

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Ah, so it is the 12/72 K94 brochure where the bucket seat HQ van photo comes from? I have the 11/71 K18 brochure where the photo looks identical but the van has a bench seat. They still must have doctored it though to get the console in it.

I'll have a look for the interior shot. Shame if that is the case, it would have been nice to have a photo of the first HQ Sandman, i'll have to make do with the ID details of the car alone!

So later HQ Sandman got the long cavity console? I wonder where the belt buckets were meant to go?
    The bucket seats look like they have been added to the K94 original photo. The long cavity console was in use in March 1974 (not sure before that date). I never saw any other console in a Sandman here in Queensland. The belt buckles went into the rear part of the long cavity.

Sandman Guru
    Hmmm. We always thought the long cavity console was for cars with retractables, small slot for floppies. Might be a plant based thing? I'll do some research.

Thread Information