Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Very first HQ Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Center console is the solid body but we have seen the 8-track holed versions used. (Including the one Byron's mate has)
    I didn't realise they came out that long ago. Where were they put in HJ (before the high fronted console was used)?????
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    I didn't realise they came out that long ago. Where were they put in HJ (before the high fronted console was used)?????
    The hole in the middle fitted 8-track cassettes neatly. I remember as a kid in Adelaide our V8 HQ sedan had one in it.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Thanks for putting up a link for the HQ Brochure. Personally I really don't know too much about the HQ and interior fitting and other van or ute details.

Having a look at the brochure, they show the interior, engine, looking down the back of the van, gearshift and console and the dash.
    Look they have taken photo of the van and other interior shot from something else.
    Van shot has different interior colour from the other interior shot taken.
    They are all the interior shots are black.
    I did notice that brochure give the feeling of a sporty van, V8, 4 speed, cool bucket sits and a nice sports dash.
    If you look close at the sport dash and the Sandman steering wheel, I did notice something, this car or van is automatic (Disc brake sign on the foot pedal). This vehicle is an automatic.

I'm sure there were T bar automatic HQ Sandman, I'm no expert and I'm sure Byron pick something else up.

Like to know what it is.
    Don't Come Knocking If This Van's Rocking

Another thing I cant see.... if its an earlier vented shell it should have plates inside covering the vents. I dont have a picture of the inside plates, maybe someone does.

I cant see those plates... I think they are about here.
    IMG_4930.jpg

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    All interesting. I'll have a close look at what you guys have or haven't seen and post up what I think.

That spare wheel in the pic above is in an odd spot. Is that the car we are talking about
    HX L31 Sandman - Papaya
    LX SLR5000 - Aquarius
    Sleekline Ski Boat - Silver/White

Ok here goes and I don't know much about hq's alot of the things you blokes have already nailed
    Steering wheel has more than sandman written in it that my new point
    No full length head lining
    Adjustable head rests
    Console flat top and level with seats
    Air cleaner seem a funny angle
    The dash pic is for auto
    Mph and km speedo

Sandman Guru
    Rodney, most of that is normal HQ:

HQ's didn't have fell length headlining. Console was flat. HQ readrests are adjustable, aircleaner is normal for earlier HQ (pre stove pipe), Mph/km/h speedo also common in HQ. The engine picture is probably generic HQ also.

The car we found is a Red with black trim HQ Kingswood ute XX7, 12/72 compliance. Meaning 10E interior which I think that brochure car with black trim is 10E. I also reckon that bit of body colour you see on the brochure car is red. Doesn't look like it on the electronic image, but on the original brochure i'm sure it is red. AND it makes sense that the pilot car would appear on the brochure. The dash photo would be a generic picture of any HQ, but they wouldn't have had a console shift HQ commercial so would have to had to use a Sandman in the picture. The 12/72 car in question hung around within GMH until late 1974 so would have been used for photos. I reckon the van might possibly be a mock up, ie buckets and console added to a normal Belmont van. Possibly not though.

So the ute you have found is it Brisbane built with xx7 or complies with xx7 spec what do you think is written on the steering cap it may be sandman but the word looks longer
    Last edited by RodneyHZ253; 03-03-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Banned
    Reckon that is a bit of red pillar you can see near the seat adjuster Byron.

Thread Information