Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoration of headlight surrounds

i know what you mean mook. i wouldnt mind betting its just a coat of clear. Id just clean it all off, wet rub it with 2000 and then buff it? ive done it this way before and they come up OK. they alloy is fairly porous so maybe use a white compound
    BQZ

I can chrome powdercoat them if you want?

I don't recon that they are painted either (some had the black painted in the center) as all were put in an acetone bath to remove any paint and the silver/chrome plating was un effected.

Thanks for the offer on the powder coat, but I recon that electro plating is what I would like to do (if it is the correct method)

Bump, Anyone with any thoughts?

HK or Mr Jones? surly one of you guys would have an inclining.

Sandman Guru
    They are alloy, not sure what is on them but Sandman are painted. I always thought most were polished alloy but some of the later ones may have a coating on them eg HZ Premier.

Cruiser
    They are probably anodised. You can get satin clear, gloss clear and other coloured anodising. I'm about to take the chrome? strips off my Impala to a guy who removes the anodising so I can repair them. Anodiseing protects the surface of aluminium so you dont have to polish it all the time.

Banned
    They would have to have some sort of coating on them, otherwise they would have corroded before they left the dealers yard. My guess is anodised. You would wonder why they were not done in stainless steel like all the other exterior trim bits.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    They would have to have some sort of coating on them, otherwise they would have corroded before they left the dealers yard. My guess is anodised. You would wonder why they were not done in stainless steel like all the other exterior trim bits.
    I have talked to a few friends who are jewlers and the have all suggested annodising as well. I have also been recommended a place in ACT. The worst bit is the labour sanding and polishing them back. Maybe I'll take your suggestion GTS and get them de plated and then it'll be easyier to re polish and prep them.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    I have talked to a few friends who are jewlers and the have all suggested annodising as well. I have also been recommended a place in ACT. The worst bit is the labour sanding and polishing them back. Maybe I'll take your suggestion GTS and get them de plated and then it'll be easyier to re polish and prep them.
    Our local hot rod club, of which I am Treasurer, had a tour night of the chromer in question last Friday night. What an eye opener! I now know why chroming costs so much and will never try and knock them down in price again. The guys at Electroplating Technology in Queanbeyan is "THE PLACE" to get your chroming done. Just ask for Shane and tell him GT from the Canberra Hot Rod Association sent you. The time and detail these guys put into their work is absolutely amazing.

Thread Information