Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RELEASED: New GTS / Sandman Steering wheels

where they made and what's the price?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGCAV View Post
    yes they have been remade to take the original bolts and screws etc not just for the cap but also the horn ring and everything else

im sorry but not sure what you meant by your second question?
    The question was: Can you buy just the wheel without the horn button (cap whatever) etc (ie; a bare wheel) and do you have a link to it like you did with the other wheels (ie; sdo that people can work out how much for it)?
    Last edited by Taily; 11-02-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    The question was: Can you buy just the wheel without the horn button (cap whatever) etc (ie; a bare wheel) and do you have a link to it like you did with the other wheels (ie; sdo that people can work out how much for it)?
    @Taily ... I don't think you can mate, from memory you could only buy a complete wheel or the cap/horn components seperately in the past. BIG CAV can confirm this tho. Also @BIGCAV's link says for ALL AVAILABLE wheels so I'm guessing not.

Depending on how friendly you are with your local Rares guy, (if you have one) ask him if he'd do a deal if you just took the wheel & not the cap. I'm sure he'd be able to on sell it as the caps with horn mech used to sell for about $90 seperately.
    SNDMN

79 HZ Sandman XX7 Van Flamenco Red - out 'n' about cruzin'

I've got one on order from Rare Spares. $361.90 + gst

P Plater
    I have a quick question on these steering wheels.
    Are they made with the outer rim exactly the same design as the originals or have they been improved so that they do not suffer
    from the exact same problem that has plagued the originals. (Cracking and bending at the hub to outer rim joins etc.)
    Cheers Paul.

P Plater
    Ok so over ten days ago I asked the above question.
    So will I get a reply to this question on this forum or will I have to post it on Fastlane to get any sort of reply at all.
    Cheers Paul.

Cruiser
    If they cracked and bent in 10 days i reckon they'd be pretty shite, maybe ring Rare Spares and ask them. Or you can always ask on Fastlane and see how long they take.

Cheers Mark

Was there really a problem with the originals? They're all over 30 years old now so no suprise there are a few broken ones around. Out of the 6 I've got there's only 1 broken one and given the state of the rest of the car it's no real shock.

P Plater
    I know that I have seen/had more broken ones than good ones.
    With HK/T/G style wheels it is the opposite. I have seen more with the outer rim material cracked or shrunken
    than with the outer rim metal broken like HQ/Z type ones.
    But this I have always put down to the fact that the outer loop on the HK/G ones is a solid steel band as opposed
    to the HQ/Z ones being for lack of a better word a perforated steel ring.
    As to why they broke other than from accidents, my main thought was overloading or simple fatigue.
    I would also think that what they were from would make a difference as in a power steered car would put less load on the wheel than
    a non steered car.
    Add wide wheels to a non power steered car and I can see that the load on them will be much higher as well.

So has anyone else come across more good original ones than bad ones.
    Cheers Paul.

Cruiser
    I have 3 which are fine and sold a van recently with another that was fine, as mentioned above these are out of cars around 40 years old and like anything if they have been abused they are going suffer, its probably does come down to the materials, design etc of them but I dont think they were ever meant to last forever. The choice is out there to either have them reconditioned or buy a reproduction, I do know a guy who has a brand new (NOS) genuine never been fitted to a car but reckons he want $2000 to part with it or a $1000 for another one which is on his car which still has all its grain, you could buy a fair few repros for that money.

Thread Information