Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upper Tailgate Struts

Upper Tailgate Struts

Hi Everyone,

I'm very close to registration. (very excite!! In my best Borat voice) Just wondering, I only have one tailgate strut. I realise the brackets are different from left to right but I'm considering the gas strut option. Iv'e seen it on a couple of vans now. Just throwing it out there. Has anyone got any suggestions or examples to save me measuring clearences, options, prices, etc etc?
    1977 HX Sandman Van
    WANTED - Aquarius Sandman Ute

I fitted one to a HX once before.
    I had to drill the mounting holes but it was the correct length etc
    Pretty sure it was off an XD bonnet.....not too sure ..it may pay to find a cheapy and try it out first .

Cruiser
    Hi Scotty, I have a pair of struts fitted to the sandman I am currently restoring not sure if they will be staying can measure them and let you know the length if you like or see if they have a model number/brand etc, will take a pic tomorrow just in case you want one as I am take both tailgates off to take to sandblaster, cheers.

Hi Scotty,
    I just recently did this mod to my van. I used struts from a VT wagon tailgate, you can read details on the mod here: http://majesticvanners.forumotion.co...73-hq-panelvan

It is on the 5th page of the thread, cheap easy mod to do, only requirement is a new hole 4 1/2 inches or 114 mm lower than the lowest original hole.

Cheers,
    Karl.

Thanks for all the input people. I think Im gonna go with Karl's advice. As long as it doesn't affect the tail tent ;)
    1977 HX Sandman Van

Shouldn't affect the tail tent, It has been trial fitted to a van with a rear spoiler and it still fits.

The struts only push it up maybe an inch higher than standard, it pretty much operates the same.

Curious to know how the gas struts perform when your cruising down the road........if you 'hit' a bump in the road, does it close the upper tailgate? I remember my old van had the standard struts and on a big enough bump, it would slam shut. Are the gas struts better in this respect?

No issue with the tailgate closing going over bumps, and they are alot quieter than the standard struts, no more rattling coming from the back!

As they are from a wagon they are pretty powerful (450N) so hold the tailgate up pretty firm it takes quite a bit of pressure to close it again. Bonnet strut are are a bit lighter so I can't speak for them.

The wagon struts are a bit longer, but I think this is a benefit, the extra length seems to enable the strut to reach its maximum retraction when the tailgate is around 15 cms from being shut, it then starts to expand slightly again to hold the tailgate firmly shut aswell, without the locks engaged.

This is a benefit for me as I use central locking solenoids to lock the tailgate.

Cruiser
    Gas struts come in all sizes and pressures. Best bet is to contact your local Strut Re-Gas guy and have him measure you up and pressurise them to suit. Even if you come across a second hand set that are perfect measurment wise but not pressure wise they can be "pumped up" to what ever pressure you require (within reason)
    Don't know if you know but... "450N" (450 newton metres) has a lifting capacity of approximately 45 kilos, 250N = 25kg, 150N = 15kg etc...you get the idea.

Thanks GTS.. I'm always up for physics.
    1977 HX Sandman Van

Thread Information