Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upper Tailgate Struts

I've got a set from a Sigma wagon holding mine up. They were relatively easy to fit, they hold the tailgate up well and you can now close it with one hand (as opposed to holding up the gate and clicking the release with your other hand. Being wagon ones mine are pretty powerful too. You need to give it a good pull down to shut it and once it reaches 10 cm from closed the struts snap the gate shut like a rabbit trap. When driving with it open there's no bouncing at all though, solid as a rock.

original tailgate struts are the way to go.

i've seen an number of gas mods done with off the shelf struts and holden other parts (such as the wagon struts) but i've never seen anyone get the tailgate to sit in the same angle when open.

with the tailtent the only issue with gas struts that hold the tailgate open higher than standard is that the tailtent might be stretched and you might stuff the door zipper. if its open less than standard then the tailtent may keep slipping off as going by what i saw on goats tent the tailgate corners are used to hold the tent up.

the only reason your 'standard' struts slam the door shut when going over bumps or that you are continually having to manually lock the struts open is because the retainer spring has either broken or fallen out. i searched for years to find good struts that had the original springs so that when i open my tailgate i push it fully open and the thumb tabs automatically flick out and lock the tailgate open, the springs also keep the thumb tabs in position when going over bumps.

yes it would be nice to not have so much noise on bumpy roads and be able to just close the tailgate without having to unlatch the struts, but at the end of the day its your own choice.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    You need to give it a good pull down to shut it and once it reaches 10 cm from closed the struts snap the gate shut like a rabbit trap.

Therein lies a potential problem. I've seen what happens when struts are over gassed for the application and start bending things like mounting brackets of break either the ball or plastic socket on the strut. I have even seen a Toyota Landcruiser top tailgate fold at the mounting point shattering the tailgate glass and writing off the tailgate. The owner had modified the spare wheel carrier and wanted the tailgate to lift by itself with the spare on it. Epic fail despite advice that it wouldn't work. By the way, I own Strut Re-Gas in Canberra.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    By the way, I own Strut Re-Gas in Canberra.
    Looks like a visit is in order then. I noticed a heap of crud around the screen rubber in my tailgate today so thought I'd pull the glass out and make sure it wasn't rusting underneath. Removed the tailgate and discovered one strut wasn't even working. What's a re-gas cost.

P Plater
    VS Commodore Boot Gas struts fit perfectly in existing mounts with existing brackets. I had a couple of banged up original struts , so I drilled out the rivets to remove the brackets.

The big down side with the VS boot struts is that they do not lift the tailgate up to full extension - but this suits me at the moment until I find some good originals. Just have to watch my noggin.

I like Karls' modification but would add a strengthening plate to the mod.
    My local strut guy has modification plates - in chrome or black - for those who want to add some strength to the lower mounting point.

Cheers,

Peter

Awesome tip. Ive got a couple of commodores at the farm and my last set from a sigma wagon are shot. They were too strong anyway. I have a schmick set of alloy ones from a VW Golf but they're too long to go in any of the holes already there.

Quote Originally Posted by HZ1178 View Post
    VS Commodore Boot Gas struts fit perfectly in existing mounts with existing brackets. I had a couple of banged up original struts , so I drilled out the rivets to remove the brackets.

The big down side with the VS boot struts is that they do not lift the tailgate up to full extension - but this suits me at the moment until I find some good originals. Just have to watch my noggin.

I like Karls' modification but would add a strengthening plate to the mod.
    My local strut guy has modification plates - in chrome or black - for those who want to add some strength to the lower mounting point.

Cheers,

Peter
    Got any photos?

P Plater
    Ok I have found in my opinion a fantastic replacement for the original struts.

I was not completely happy with the VS boot struts (as stated earlier) as they were far too powerful at 510N and did not lift the tailgate anywhere near the correct height, but they did the job for the short term.

I have found the following struts which are perfect for my particular application from Strut Regas in Wagga Wagga.

Strut Length 405mm
    Strut Diameter 8mm
    Strut extender 10mm
    Pressured up to 300N

IMG_0186.jpg

I have removed the brackets from a pair of original struts by drilling out the rivets. I have used the original brackets to mount them. No drilling extra holes is necessary at all.

IMG_0185.jpg

Total cost $92 all up, much better than digging around the local wreckers to find a set.

Please PM me for Bruce's details - he is happy to put sets together for us and post direct to your door.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by HZ1178; 15-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Nice one I'll be up for a set
    Maybe Bruce and will give forum members an even better price if enough people go for it!

P Plater
    I told him about this forum , he was very pleased.

He is awesome to deal with , I had no doubt that this outcome was achievable.

I'm sure he will look after us if we let him know we are from this forum.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/wa...6-listing.html

If you are outside of Bruce's licensed area he is happy to put you in touch with your local Strut Regas distributor and let them know the correct sizes.

cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by HZ1178; 15-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Thread Information