Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine trouble

Had a similar problem with my 202, checked all of the above, didn't help. Ended up changing the coil and fixed it.

Also check exhaust is flowing right. I once had a baffle come loose in my muffler and under pressure it blocked flow up , choked the motor like the old banana in the exhaust trick, enough to stop the car.

Steve

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    That is a Starfire 4 (with 2 x cylinder lopped off)!
    And weren't they the worst engine of the decade lol.

Sandman Guru
    Yep, worst GMH engine, not far from the Opel big block in the LH 4cyl Torana though. Can you imagine (if you haven't driven one) how bad a UC Sunbird or VC 4cyl Commodore with auto and 3.9:1 diff running 13" wheels was?? At least the Sunbird handled and steered beautifully. Jump back into a 1.9 Opel LH-LX 4cyl Torana (pre LX Sunbird which came with RTS) with aussie 4spd M20, body mounted shifter and 3.9 diff. Handled like a HQ, ran out of puff at 80kM/h, got out-sprinted by a pushbike and all the remote mounted shifter issues of a HK. And people still bought the pieces of junk! I reckon it'd be more comfortable driving a ride on mower on the freeway!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Yep, worst GMH engine, not far from the Opel big block in the LH 4cyl Torana though. Can you imagine (if you haven't driven one) how bad a UC Sunbird or VC 4cyl Commodore with auto and 3.9:1 diff running 13" wheels was?? At least the Sunbird handled and steered beautifully. Jump back into a 1.9 Opel LH-LX 4cyl Torana (pre LX Sunbird which came with RTS) with aussie 4spd M20, body mounted shifter and 3.9 diff. Handled like a HQ, ran out of puff at 80kM/h, got out-sprinted by a pushbike and all the remote mounted shifter issues of a HK. And people still bought the pieces of junk! I reckon it'd be more comfortable driving a ride on mower on the freeway!
    I'd go for the 4cyl dunnydore stationwagon with the useful Econo-guage at POOR .... they couldnt pull a maggot off a greasy chop!!!

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 17-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Banned
    My brother had a LX Sunbird with said engine and diff. Was a manual though. Still bits of that awful 4 cylinder sitting in the dirt here lol.

It's a rockin'
    sounds like fuel but i had a toyota that wouldnt go above 80ks but it didnt stall turned out to be the condenser

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I'd go for the 4cyl dunnydore stationwagon with the useful Econo-guage at POOR .... they couldnt pull a maggot off a greasy chop!!!

Mauser
    Heard a story once about a 4 cylinder commodore. It was so bad that it got stolen and the thieves returned it lol.

Thread Information