Thread: HJ Panel van cut down to ute

Learner Driver

HJ Panel van cut down to ute

Hey looking at buying a hj sandman van that has been cut down to a ute.I have read that this was something commonly done but how do you think this affects the authenticity or value of the car.

Cheers Jason

Sandman Guru
    I reckon utes will be worth more in the end as they are a lot rarer but I wouldn't buy a van cut down into one. Long term it will probably have rust issues and I question the integrity of the strengthening member that runs through the quarter where the joint is done, which runs right up to and includes the retractable seat belt mount hole/nut. It may have rust issues where the roof is grafted on plus where the rear cabin is welded in. It'll never be accepted as a valuable, collectable vehicle but for the right $ it may be OK. If it is a really good body otherwise it may be worth getting (for the appropriate $) and keeping your eyes out for a good donor body of the right series and assembly plant. If it is really good (like rust free) it could be possible to graft a van turret back on, this is a lot of work but if the bottom half is rust free it might be the go. I would only bother doing this with a 308 example though, I wouldn't bother with the 6cyl or 253 examples.

Learner Driver
    Thanks.It is a 308 and seems to be a fairly rust free from photos but i am looking for a collectable ute but like you said for the right money it may be ok.

Banned
    It will never be collectable as a van or ute as it has been cut in half. it may be an interesting car though.
    As Byron says, if you turned it back into a van to match the plates then it may be collectable.
    It can never really be a ute though, it says van on the plates.

There are a few bits and pieces in that turret/pillar that have to have been compromised when they cut them off. You are really putting your trust into someone you know nothing about as far as the safety goes really. I also reckon ergo will be an issue in the future regarding a major modification to the body like that.
    Changing seat belt mounting points surely is a more serious issue than missing pollution equipment?

Learner Driver
    Yes i thnk i will wait until a real ute or van turns up.Looking for something i can drive around for now and restore later.Got to be on the ball good ones move fast.

Sandman Guru
    The seat belt mounting points stay where they are, but under them and running back into the quarter is a strengthening beam, which is really just a thick piece of folded steel. Of you ever see a ute or van with the quarter off you'll see it. Normally this gets cut when you graft a ute roof onto the quarter. I think it is only HJ-WB as well as HQ don't have retractables.

Banned
    Yeah I know you havnt adjusted the mounting point so to speak, you have just cut the complete mount off with the roof. Yes I have seen inside when I cut the rust out of the pillar on the HX ute I have here. I had to replace that "beam" as the rust had moved into it as well.

Thread Information