Thread: Please help confirm my ID tags are Sandman

Learner Driver

Please help confirm my ID tags are Sandman

Hi, I have recently purchase a project HJ van and was told by the previous owner that the ID Tags are genuine Sandman, but it was re-bodied because of rust. I have read the links on this site but a few things don't line up with my plates.
    The Body ID plate is is reverse stamped (stamped from the front) and has all the right markings for a Sandman
    but the Vehicle Identification plate has H8 stamped on it which means it was built in Sydney and on this website it says that only Adelaide vehicles had reverse stamped Body ID plates. So this leads me to believe that maybe my plates are miss-matched or did they reverse stamp Body ID plates at the Sydney plant?
    The van has got the right tyre placard, GTS dash (with white needles), GTS guards (pressed not welded),253 M20, and most other parts to suggest it is a Sandman. It has no toothed strip for the full length head liner, but like the guy said it has been re-bodied. ANy help on the authenticity of these plates would be really appreciated as it would help me figure out how far to take this project.
    Cheers from Age.
    P.S I have included whats on the tags below.

SAFETY COMPLIANCE PLATE;
    HJ PANEL VAN
    7/75 BHJ 30035S
    GVW 2200 kg SEATING CAPACITY 2

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION PLATE;
    8M70REH858915J

BODY IDENTIFICATION PLATE;
    MODEL. HJ8WM70 XX7
    BODY No. 157706-A
    TRIM. 1898-19V
    PAINT. 567-15944
    ENG. L32 TRANS. M20 RRAXEL. GJ4

Hi as far as I know only Brisbane sandmans were stamped with XX7. Can you put up all the I.D tags so people with all the knowledge can check the id for you. Also some pictures would be nice to see

Hope this helps:smile-new:

--- Updated ---

Sorry didnt see all the tag ids below

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Age HJ View Post
    Hi, I have recently purchase a project HJ van and was told by the previous owner that the ID Tags are genuine Sandman, but it was re-bodied because of rust. I have read the links on this site but a few things don't line up with my plates.
    The Body ID plate is is reverse stamped (stamped from the front) and has all the right markings for a Sandman
    but the Vehicle Identification plate has H8 stamped on it which means it was built in Sydney and on this website it says that only Adelaide vehicles had reverse stamped Body ID plates. So this leads me to believe that maybe my plates are miss-matched or did they reverse stamp Body ID plates at the Sydney plant?
    The van has got the right tyre placard, GTS dash (with white needles), GTS guards (pressed not welded),253 M20, and most other parts to suggest it is a Sandman. It has no toothed strip for the full length head liner, but like the guy said it has been re-bodied. ANy help on the authenticity of these plates would be really appreciated as it would help me figure out how far to take this project.
    Cheers from Age.
    P.S I have included whats on the tags below.

SAFETY COMPLIANCE PLATE;
    HJ PANEL VAN
    7/75 BHJ 30035S
    GVW 2200 kg SEATING CAPACITY 2

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION PLATE;
    8M70REH858915J

BODY IDENTIFICATION PLATE;
    MODEL. HJ8WM70 XX7
    BODY No. 157706-A
    TRIM. 1898-19V
    PAINT. 567-15944
    ENG. L32 TRANS. M20 RRAXEL. GJ4
    You cannot pick a 1975 HJ Sandman from the ID plates, but you can tell when they are NOT a Sandman. Yours doesn't fit into the NOT category so it could have been originally (the vehicle the plates came off).
    Plates all align perfectly, but as it has been rebodied, unless a 1975 Elizabeth HJ Sandman body has been used it is no longer close to authentic.
    It appears that the guy that rebodied it has unfortunately defaced the BODY tag by stamping XX7 into it, further affecting its identification.
    Not also that the RRAXLE stamping will be GU4 (3.08:1).

It is normal for Elizabeth HJ BODY tags to be stamped as yours is. It is normal for Pagewood panel vans to have Elizabeth BODY tags as Pagewood body plant didn't build HJ panel van bodies.

Tip: never try to sell it as a totally original Sandman (read the Unique cars article from a few months ago about advertising collectable cars and the recent VIC civil court case). Always quote it as rebodied.

Banned
    Didn't see the addition of the XX7 there. Would have been easy to identify otherwise.

Learner Driver
    Thanx for the info,that helps heaps. I have no intentions of ever selling it as a fully authentic Sandman and I will be keeping pics of the whole build so if I ever do sell it people will get the full history of the build, and it will help to explain the plates to them as i know how confusing it can be. Anyway it is a dream of mine to own one of these, not to sell one so hopefully she comes up all right. I will try to post pics as the build progresses to keep anyone interested in how she's going!

Sandman Guru
    PM me low res pictures of the bare tunnel (inside) showing the shifter hole and console mounts and the firewall showing basically the driver's side (only once you've stripped it for resto) and i'll tell you what the body is.

Thread Information