Thread: HJ Sandman from the Sydney Motor Show

HJ Sandman from the Sydney Motor Show

one of the guys from poker that i talk with saw my van and we started talking about them when he told me tht he owned 2 Sandmans

He bought a blue HQ Sandman and was running around in that for about 18months and stopped into Cabramatta Holden to buy a new set of Sandman stripes for it when he noticed a new HJ customised van roll in on a tilt tray (his wife thinks it will be 36 years next week)

They told him it was on display at the Sydney Motor Show and they were about to put it up for sale
    couple of hours later - he was driving out in it

Now if it's 36 years that makes jan 1976 so it must not be the original Display vehicle
    Maybe they built this one for late 75 and it did the rounds of a few other displays until it landed at the dealership

is cam as is with the strange window covers and side ppes but they got hassled by the cops about a year later because it was too loud and the yard replaced the sides with a new twin system

The got married and did their honeymoon travelig in the van

The HQ

The HJ

Theyre going to bring in th photo album for me s i can get ome better pics

Those van's bring back memories, having window's or not didn't matter at all back then.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Ahhhh, the old "HORN" sticker kits.
    Only ever seen them on Falcons but never on a Holden!!!!!

--- Updated ---

I also like those original style windscreen stickers the go all the way across.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

I wonder if the car was more likely a showcar for a customising company, a lot of the stripes (on both hq and hj for that matter) look like stuff Wibroc put out in the 70s (and the windows too). And he kept the same wheels and tyres too by the looks of it.

I don't think the HQ was actually a sandman, unless the blurry photo is hiding the gts guards.

Great pictures
    Steve

Love the side pipes thats 70s right down to a tee and the wheels good old elstars by the looks of them

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    II don't think the HQ was actually a sandman, unless the blurry photo is hiding the gts guards.
    He said it was a sandman but i havent seen the original pics yet (should be Monday)
    I might go to my mates and search his plates to see what the HJ was exactly and if the plates were original on the Q

Quote Originally Posted by glacier 73 View Post
    love the side pipes thats 70s right down to a tee
    totally agree 100%
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by 0488TINTER View Post
    They told him it was on display at the Sydney Motor Show and they were about to put it up for sale
    couple of hours later - he was driving out in it

Now if it's 36 years that makes jan 1976 so it must not be the original Display vehicle
    The Sydney motor show hasn't always been on the same week in Oct/Nov as per the modern times, so they could well be correct.

I remember the '82/83 Motor show real well - it was Dec/Jan, and my brother & I were taken to it by a relative, while my parents were at the hospital - mum delivering my youngest brother. We also saw Aust vs England at the SCG during that time too - for a young fella who had only recently moved from the country to Sydney, going into the "city" (well, Moore Park area) was a huge thing - let alone twice within mere weeks (if not days) of each other.
    If I could get over to my brother's place, he still has the promo sticker from that motor show on his toolbox - it has the dates on it.

Perhaps the 70s ones were also around a similar time? That would match up with your mate's memory - which seems pretty good (it's probably their wedding anniversary & his wife won't forget it!).

Thread Information