Thread: 308

It's a rockin'

Hi all i have a 308 that has engine number prefix of JT...any ideas as to what it might be out of ?

Hi not sure check your number if it was ZT it would be late hz, WT wb commercial, VT vb to vk commo, QT hq to late hz,. NT nasco replacement, hope this helpsyou

Sandman Guru
    Send me a close up picture of the number and i'll see what it is

Ya left out Torana 308's Bobcat :P

HT prefix for the torries.

Motor in my HZ has a 11WT (turbo pattern), the one that's replacing it is a VT (Trimatic pattern)
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

It's a rockin'
    vt is commodore 308 i have one of them but mine is JT i thought it might be a miss stamped Q the date is a 4 so could be 74 or 84 i will send a pic to hk1837 hopefully he can help me
    cheers

P Plater
    Going by the prefix system.... in the 70s they tended to follow the 2nd letter of the model series for the first letter (ie, HQ got Q, LH got H etc).
    Obviously we know there were no J or X prefixes, but Z came in during HZ.

Into the 80s, they used the platform code for the prefix - ie V for VB, VC, VH etc commodore, and W for WB series.

In the 80s, the Camira was the J-platform....so if the 4 is for 1984, then could this be a super-rare Camira 308??? /smartass :D :D

My money is on a mis-stamp if it's a genuine factory stamp. Here's something to think about - think 1974 - Q was a common prefix, well known by now.
    But they've just brought out H for the all-new LH series, so to a new guy, it could be plausible to think that he should put a J in there for a HJ series engine.....

Obviously if it's not a factory stamp, then who knows the where when & why for it.

Sandman Guru
    It is a restamp. Either someone has deliberately stamped a J or it is half a Q. JT would be an LJ GTR 308 engine but these would have been 1972 engines for the couple of V8 LJ GTR's made. I doubt they would have even bothered with the J on those cars either, probably just used QT or 11QT engines.

It's a rockin'
    ok thanks everyone it looks to be a restamp to me too as it is a recond motor so probably had the deck machined but just thought i would check thanks again

Thread Information