Thread: Clone Sandman

P Plater

Clone Sandman

Has anyone converted a normal windowless shell into a Sandman clone, ie put the headlining strips in etc. I think I will have more chance finding a better one owner commercial shell than finding a restorable Sandman. I would like to do a HX/Z in Contessa Gold.

Plus I would think a lot of Sandmans have had their tags swapped anyway and I just want one to look like the one I had 20 years ago.

Any leads appreciated anyway. I am in Vic.

Cheers Geoff

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Panelv...mZ180465385179

Plenty of Sandman clones about and it would be cheaper to buy one already done like the WB currently on Ebay and in Vic. 253 4sp and a good looking van, just needs a GTS dash, re-paint the bonnet and add some stripes.

If you are wanting to buy one and restore it then a HX-HZ Kingswood would be the way to go as they have the full headlining.... hood bows and the attachment strips are hard to get and not cheap.

They will never be worth anywhere near the value of a genuine Sandy but will cost almost as much to restore, a genuine Sandy is a much better option and they are still around and come up on Ebay fairly regularly. You need to be realistic though and expect to pay around $5000 to $8000 for a decent restoration project in fairly original condition. The more original the more you will pay but the easier the restoration will be.

A decent starting commercial or Kingswood, $3000. A decent starting Sandman original $8000. Go with the original. It costs the same to restore either one. The mock up might be worth $17000 when done compared to the original at around $35000. Not that you would sell the original anyway.

P Plater
    A decent starting Sandman at 8k, I honestly think they are overpriced in rough restorable condition and most look stuffed. My plan was to get the best HX/Z windowless shell I could find and then get a set of tags, then start the ground up resto, for me it would be a 3 year project. I did want to do a contessa gold, but I might be sold on valencia orange. I have been in car clubs FE/C and FB/EK and cars that have had major colour changes etc still win awards as long as they are done to original standards. I might be dreaming though about getting a set of tags, but how many vans around now will have there tags changed, would you ever really know!

Geoff

This van on ebay would make an awesome sandman replica half your work is done and it was originally a 2 seater

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HZ-Holden-Pan...item3efcfb1c2b

Quote Originally Posted by sanman
    I might be dreaming though about getting a set of tags, but how many vans around now will have there tags changed, would you ever really know!
    Selling just the tags or swapping tags is illegal and if you get caught when you go to register your car it will be impounded. Is it really worth the risk????

Yes, those who really know their Sandman's will know the tags are not correct for the car. Body numbers, chassis numbers and engine numbers won't be aligned..... there are also differences in the bodies that those who know will pick up on unless you make the appropriate changes

Colour changes won't stop you winning awards but it will devalue your original restoration when it comes time to sell..... if I were judging Sandman's you would lose points for incorrect colour or trim the same as you would for any other incorrect items if you entered the original restoration category.

A decent starting Sandman at $8000 would be a mostly original car with minimal rust in it, a pretty stuffed rusty one would start at around $1500. As always price depends on condition...... but there are always fools out there that think their pile of shit is worth a motza.. :roll:

I paid $700 for my Sandman and it was fairly rust free but needs the windows filled in. I hired a car trailer and drove 12hrs there and back to pick it up but the guy didn't know what he had and I reckon it was a bargain for a total outlay of $1200. Bare in mind though, mine was missing the GTS dash, GTS rims, GTS mirrors, black grill and has the wrong engine and gearbox in it so I have to source all these at extra cost.

Van....................................$700
    trailer hire and fuel................$500
    Correct numbered engine........$800
    M20 gearbox........................$200
    HX GTS dash........................$320
    5 x GTS rims.........................$340
    GTS mirrors..........................$230
    GTS steering wheel................$355
    Rear well side panels..............$80 .........mine had speaker holes in them
    Spare tyre winch..................needed
    door gutter moulds................needed
    Chrome door scuff plates........needed
    air cleaner...........................needed
    HX GTS wheel nuts...............needed
    4 x rear panel hat channels......needed

TOTAL to date.....................$3425

P Plater
    All good valid points, like I said I am probably dreaming anyway, so thanks for your response. I will keep an eye out for a good sandman somewhere, and might get lucky one day.

Geoff

Learner Driver
    I am now the new owner of the Green van as featured at the top of this thread. It is great to drive and only needed some suspension work.
    I have taken the advice above and got a GTS dash, but now may need some advice regarding it's installation, does anyone have any tips/suggestions.
    Thanks
    Tony

Congratulations on the new van. The GTS dash installation is pretty straight forward as long as you got the gauge wiring harness with the dash. Unplug the old harness and replace it with the GTS harness. Your WB dash will have the oil and possibly temp idiot lights so you will need to install a new temp sender and oil pressure sensor in the engine block for your oil and temp gauges to function correctly. You will also need to run a wire from the coil to the tacho (from memory it's the negative wire but I'm not 100% on that as it's been a lot of years since I did one)
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information