Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden HQ ute

Learner Driver

Holden HQ ute

Have a HQ ute at work have started to strip it is bent in the front looking at the plates looks like it might be a sandman 2 seats built 7/74 can not see any console brackets has a very good body missing most of the front from the big hit and dash chassis matches tags any one have a good idea? some one told me ages ago if they are white in side it should be ?

IMG_1169.jpg

Cheers Greg

Hi Greg,

No-one has answered so Ill have a crack.. haha I like HQ'S.

I assume its a 253 because of the blank engine and M20 in a V8 Belmont ute. The main Sandman feature will be the rear console mount on the floor between the seats. It is a flat piece of metal following the curve of the tunnel with a slot in it not really sticking up too much off the floor pan. The HQ didnt have a front mount and was just screwed to the tunnel in front of the gearshift hole.

ConsolebracketHQrear01.jpgHQ%20console%20holes.jpg

So... other than the Steering Wheel, Dash, full lenght console, GTS Wiring harness, Guards and Blackouts all which could of been ratted or painted over in the last 40 years... (look for blackouts under the front guards but unlikely if this was orange and now green)

Blackouts were painted before the front guards installed.
    ss sill black.jpg

80280 – 8cyl Belmont Ute with the colour of Saffron Met. 1881/1396 15823. Metallic colours on Belmont Sandmans are a good sign because that shouldn't be available in a normal Belmont. (Lucky its a Belmont not a Kingy)
    http://gallery.oldholden.com/Mr_Jone...ffron.jpg.html
    see the colour chart says not on a Belmont.
    http://gallery.oldholden.com/Mr_Jone...+A622.jpg.html

The 39B is Chestnut with Bucket Seats so the other plate should have seating capacity of 2. and thanks to MrJones again looks something like this. (Not many people would option bucket seats in a stinky old Belmont)
    http://gallery.oldholden.com/Mr_Jone...stnut/Belmont/

Looks reasonable for a possible Sandman but those rivets holding the plate on are not origional (HQ's are big fat ones) so check it hasnt been re-bodyed. If you could send photos of the other plates to Byron (HK1837) for more information and he can provide more specific identifying features.

HQ Rivets
    DSCF0888.jpg

Hope that helps.. :-) and Hi to the forum.

Mauser

PS I have no idea what the white inside means.
    Last edited by mauser; 06-12-2011 at 12:30 AM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    You'd be very unlucky for it not to be a Sandman. Metallic paint on a Belmont was the only available on a Sandman.

Blackouts before front guards might apply in some case but this is a Dandenong BAP and VAP vehicle and they did things a bit differently.

Being a 4spd Belmont outside Sandman and SS in HQ is pretty rare.

The rear console mount in a HQ is no indication of a factory console as the seat separator used the same mount BUT you couldn't get a seat separator with a 4spd so that means it must be a console mount.

Look also for the winch cup for the spare wheel to be the one that suits a GTS rim.

Learner Driver
    Thanks guys looks like it has part of the GTS wiring behind the dash still there , i think they took them plates of before it had a paint job because like i said the body is in very good condition has not been re bodied the tags still match the chassis, pity it had a very big hit in the front ill figure out what to do with it now.

Ps Byron ill post the other plates up later today for you cheers Greg

Learner Driver
    I have attached the other tags

Great site to guys its good to see..

Cheers Greg
    Last edited by Gregeh64; 07-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Yay for you Greg. You are lucky to find an elusive HQ Sandman. (We need more HQ'ers here .... get swamped by the HZ owners club.. haha not everyone wants a big wanker sticker on thier bum :-) )

Hopefully the front bingle didnt bend the chassis and you can rebuild her.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 06-12-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Learner Driver
    Hi Mauser i wish i could keep it mate all ways wanted a sandman van but this would of been great to, but some clown hit my EH couple of weeks ago and wrote it off so i have to spend my spare time fixing it unfortunately so i might put it up for sale.

Thanks again cheers Greg

Sandman Guru
    If anyone here wants to tackle a resto on this, it is one of the rarest Sandmans you'll find. In one of the most beautiful/pretty and elusive colours (Saffron), it'd be a good one to do. I know it is only a Belmont and only a 253 but still remember there were 4 x available engine sizes in HQ Sandman (173, 202, 253 and 308) so not a base spec by any means. It is the ONLY confirmed (assuming console mount can be seen to be original) Saffron HQ Sandman I have recorded, and the only Sandman ute full stop (I have 2 x Acacia Ridge Belmont HQ vans in Saffron but they are both lacking XX7 on the BODY plate so to me ruling them out).

I had to go and look up Leroy's paint guide to see what Saffron looked like. Your not wrong Byron, that would be a sweet colour on a HQ Sandman ute with all the blackouts, black decals and GTS guards.
    HQ+Kingswood++Saffron.jpg

to the forums gregeh64, sounds like you have a rare beauty there....

cheers J and R
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information