Thread: Tyre types

Tyre types

Hey everyone - I have been asked offline if the Dunlop Le Mans 195/14 tyre would be a suitable tyre to fit the HQ-HZ vans. Specifically the Dunlop J2 70 P195/70HR14, is anyone familiar with this tyre and would it have been a common fit for a van in the early 1990's?... Oh and would it be suitable for WB van as well?

Thanks.

Banned
    I ran 15" lemans 225 on Simmons rims on my blue wb. They were a common mid 90's tyre. Were a good tyre in those days. 195 would be on the narrow side I reckon though. 205 or 225 would be better. They are a asymmetric directional tyre that can only be swapped front to back if you are into rotating tyres.

Le Mans A4 was a common tyre during the 1990's.... they were a terrible tyre. Zero traction in the wet and they went hard very quickly which made them even worse.

a good period tyre to run is the BF goodrick T/A, not saying they are a great tyre, but the raised lettering hasn't changed.

Also SF Eager 330's haven't changed much in 15 years.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Thanks Adam - the question relates to whether a panel van could have had this particular tyre, it's not an issue about restoration.

I know there are heaps of tyre types, but would the 195/14 fit on the rally rims?

yeah 195 / 14 will fit on a 14 x 6 rally rim fine.
    not sure what brand tyre holden put on them originally
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Yes, they'll fit on 5.0 and 6.0JJ's or the Canadiands (JH/K? - can't remember which). You could probably get away with anything from 185/70/LT's through to 205/60/R's and they wont look out of place or cause any handling issues. My ute was originally sold with 195/14 Aquajets on N66 rims which (I think?) were a 70 or 75 series. The standard tyre placard is a good place to start, work from there if the vehicle is fitted with wider or widened rims. As others have said the Le Mans were a little ordinary earlier on when they were introduced in the late 80's but I dare say that tyre technology and composition these days is somewhat better than it used to be... A friend mentioned recently that you can still buy A352 Yokies still with the "A" pattern.... I got a little moist over that one when I remembered completely wasting a brand new pair of 265 A352's one night at Brickies in the late 80's... Expensive lesson on a second year apprentice wages... :Chin:

Regards,

Dave
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information