Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: restore or modify

It's a rockin'

restore or modify

Hi all i have a HJ windowless sandman but im not really sure what to do with it, my plan was just to drive it but it died about 3 months after owning it so now it looks like a full rebuild . It is legally registered with a 350 in it ,so do i keep the 350 or go back to factory 253 4 spd ? It is also a factory white with black trim van, i have seen a few white HZ sandmans but no HJs but white doesnt really appeal to me.
    I know it will be worth more put back to original but i have no plans on selling it so the $$$$ dont really come into it thanks.

Why do you need to do a full rebuild if it's just got a dead engine? Drop in another 350 and drive the sucker. No point going back to a 253 if you're not going to sell it. Even if you did sell it the 350 would probably add a bit of value cause it would widen your target market and give the new owner some choices. It's much easier to buy one with a 350 already registered than to try and convert to 350 and then get registered

It's a rockin'
    thanks i did buy it just to drive but if i pull the motor out i will want to tidy up the engine bay and one thing leads to another ........

If it's a genuine HJ Sandman (regardless if it's windowless or not) then restoring it is worth some thought. I love Sandmans in their originality. Customs don't really do it for me, so my opinion could be bias.

My belief is that it's your van/car + your money + your time = your build ... it's very personal, make it something that you want to own and drive. No point looking at it sitting in the shed/driveway saying "shoulda left the 350 in, wish it wasn't white etc, etc."

I like windows, roof racks & sunroofs, a lot don't. Guess what? my van has all three. I'm currently doing a build on my Barbados Green HQ GTS/4 and have had all the 'advice' from mates how 'I' should/shouldn't rebuild it.
    I like premier fronts & boot spoilers, they don't, houndstooth isn't my original trim code but again I like it, etc etc ... my car, my build.

Build something sweet and enjoy it!

SNDMN

79 HZ Sandman XX7 Van Flamenco Red - out 'n' about cruzin'

As sndmn said. Your car your choice! I would keep the 350 and paint it an HJ colour you like, if you have the time and money then maybe consider going for an original appearance inside and HQ/HJ decals on the outter.

Sandman Guru
    I'd just fix it up a bit and enjoy it, but i'd paint it white if it needs paint and make it look original outside. White HJ's are very cool, and look good with black stripes. Nothing wrong with a 350 if it already has one!

here you go, they're in SA aws well
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chev-350-...item415fc0e9a5

Personally id go an LS1

At the end of the day; it's your van, your money, your time. You do what you want and don't let the opinions of others persuade you.

I agree with SNDMN. Windows are totally boss on a van! I don't understand why they're frowned upon.

It's a rockin'
    i dont have a problem with windows but some were poorly fitted and leaked there was a van on ebay that had 1 big window and looked great .I bought my first van back in the 80s when bubble windows were everywhere

Thread Information