Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine to Chassis mating time.

Engine to Chassis mating time.

I'd like some advice please.

Body is off getting panel work and paint done. In the meantime the chassis will get blasted and rebuilt (steering, suspension, brakes etc.) so would you;
    • Install the completed engine and running gear now on the chassis and then drop the body on last?
      Install engine, trans etc. after the body is put on the chassis?

going to be in the same situation soon

It's a rockin'
    put the body only on the chassis if you can and then put running gear in it before fitting the front panels but do as much as you can before putting the body on, brake lines, fuel tank, diff etc and before you put the motor in it put everything you can on the firewall like air cond brake booster etc. it is very tempting to put all the panels on so it looks complete but damaging a fresh paint job is very frustrating i have had my bonnet and two gts guards stored in my bedroom for almost a year i hope you have a very understanding wife. Also the inner guards are hard to put on after the nose cone so try to put them on after the radiator support and before the guards and lastly get some help!! dont try to do it all on your own

Thanks. Yes the front panels and nosecone would be last to go on for sure.

Wouldn't it be easier to have the engine/trans etc mounted on the chassis and then drop the body on? I have a pit but it is outdoors and I do not have a hoist... maybe the goat should get a hoist?

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    put the body only on the chassis if you can and then put running gear in it before fitting the front panels but do as much as you can before putting the body on, brake lines, fuel tank, diff etc and before you put the motor in it put everything you can on the firewall like air cond brake booster etc. it is very tempting to put all the panels on so it looks complete but damaging a fresh paint job is very frustrating i have had my bonnet and two gts guards stored in my bedroom for almost a year i hope you have a very understanding wife. Also the inner guards are hard to put on after the nose cone so try to put them on after the radiator support and before the guards and lastly get some help!! dont try to do it all on your own
    +1 to that.... They way to go for sure while access is at a premium. The last thing you would want to do is scratch or dent any of that new paintwork while manouvring an engine/box combo into position. Guard covers are great, but they wont stop dings...
    Nunc est bibendum...

I would think it depends on what kind of gear you have to raise and lower the body. If you had a hoist, or at least a very high shed with overhead block and tackles etc it would definitely be easier to do the chassis complete without the body. I would however be very worried about lifting a freshly painted shell into position by any means.
    How are you getting the shell around without a chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTees View Post
    How are you getting the shell around without a chassis.
    Spare chassis.

It's a rockin'
    the other option is to finish the chassis and put the body on before final paint and mask everything up .who is doing the body and paint ?

Surely HK would know how Holden did it on the line in the day!?!?!

If i had to do it, i'd do the chassis first then do body leter.
    It'd would make the process of engine/trans assembly much easier and be easier to fit stuff.
    Imagine if you damaged the firewall with the gearbox/engine assembly or damaged the paint with the engine hoist.
    Just my 2c worth anyway.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Thread Information