Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto or Manual??

Queensland formally of ACT Formally of NT.

Auto or Manual??

Hope I don't sound like a squeezer but I was hoping to get people's opinion to help me with mine.
    I am hoping to buy a prado but can't decide between auto and manual. According to the sales brochure auto get slightly better fuel econonmy but I don't know if I can bring myself to admit that I'm gettting old enough to have an auto.
    The thing wil be used for long highway trips towing about 3/4 ton and will be diesel.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Cameron.

If it was me i would go manual, cant beat it for towing. As far as i can remember manuals has better fuel economy than autos, go to a new car yard and have a look at the claimed fuel usage. Your the one who will be driving the car so buy what you like

Don't be pressured by the "auto's are for old people" bullcrap. For a daily driver why would you want to change gears yourself? Auto's are much better for towing, just fit a good big transmission cooler if it doesn't have one already. Big 4wd's are especially sucky to drive on the road as a daily if they are manual.

We haven't had a manual car (new) since 1997, they are better for backing while towing, the 4wd with low range are geared very well for off road use, and any vehicle we have bought new lately (Jeeps) are not available in Diesel with manual only petrol with manual....I do wish our GT BF Falcon was a manual, but as it was purchased 2nd hand with 12000km it was just as was....(and cheap)

cheers J and R
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Banned
    We have a 08 manual diesel Prado. Its a great gear box, but I have reached the point that I would like an auto next time, maybe...

I have heard that the Prado clutch is a bit suspect for towing. I know the one in my 08 hilux squeals when put under strain and its only done 40000km of road miles.

I only tow a 3 bike trailer with bikes, which would be over a ton I suppose. Its a heavy trailer. But so far no clutch issues with the prado.

The Prado is bigger and heavier than the hilux but it seems to get a little better economy than the hilux.
    Last edited by wbute; 06-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

All I've ever driven is manual and I have to say I do sometimes dream of driving an auto daily!

Sandman Guru
    Do yourself a favour and DON'T get a manual Hilux or Landcruiser Prado especially for towing. If you get a Hilux don't get a diesel either, 4spd auto is a dud. Get a V6 petrol auto Hilux. It is the best of the lot. With a Prado the diesel gets the same A750F 5spd auto as the Hilux and is fine. I'd still prefer the V6 Prado but if you trust a Thai made diesel go for it. V6's are Japanese made (engine and box anyway, rest is Thai made). If you are going to tow you don't want a manual in those, clutches are not up to it.

Banned
    Diesel Prado is made in Japan Byron. The Hilux is Thai.

Sandman Guru
    I'm pretty sure the D4D engine in the Prado is Thai made though. Might be wrong though. In any case both 4cyl D4D and V6 EFI have the good A750F box in a Prado and that is what you want if you intend to tow regularly.

Queensland formally of ACT Formally of NT.
    Thanks everyone. The new one has a 6 speed manual and seems nice to drive. Really prefer a diesel...maybe a remote living thing as diesel is always available.
    Think I might stay with the manual.'

thanks again for the opinions.

My next question is...
    I'm on holidays, why can't I catch any fish?

Thread Information