Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.D. Plates online - is it a security risk?

I.D. Plates online - is it a security risk?

I've come across some people who are happy to share/show their HQ-WB plates and chassis numbers online but a little rarer I have come across that think it is a risk to them.

What in your opinion are the risks (if any) of publishing these plate details online?

Well it's a good way of showing ownership as well as having a date recorded when the said plates were owned.

For example, my van gets stolen. How would anyone know exactly what it looked like if i hadn't posted photos on here. Just a thought.

Banned
    Its a risk as people will know what you have in your garage. Therefore you should also put a picture of a pig dog, shot gun, axe, syringes filled with aids infected blood, criminal records stating your recent release from prison for genocide etc so they know who they are dealing with. Just a thought.

and what are they going to do with this information?...my hq gts 350 coupe plates have been put online as pictures numerous times and nothing has ever happened.
    also i have taken it to numerous all holden days and other shows and when its the only hq gts 350 coupe there you get plenty of people writing down the details and photographing the tags..i dont have a problem with it..

Thats cause you're a scary looking PG13er Oz. Crims are gutless. They're not going to target the long term wrecking yard owner with a full length Biker-ish beard and connections to every part of the motor industry. They'll go for the newbie suburbanite who'd be lucky to pick his own car out from a lineup of similar looking vehicles.

Banned
    I think the problem lies more with advertising what you have tucked away in the shed. Tag info is useless to anyone but the owner.

Sandman Guru
    I've never understood the risk to an individual if they make their tag details public? What can anyone do with them anyway? What possible use would a Criminal have with them?

Because people are halfwits. Big deal if you post a pic of your car or the tags and so what if half of Australia now know what you have in your garage.... it's not like you stated underneath the pic ... HEY.. I live at number 666 halfwit parade, twitsville and never lock my garage.

A bit like the numbnuts that won't tell people the reserve price on Ebay auctions..... WHAT is the big bloody secret about someone knowing the minimum price you will take for something... jeez, it's not like it's a 5 million dollar mansion or something ..... no... it's normally some rusty piece of crap and they're probably embarrased at the rediculous price they are asking..... twats....

Banned
    Yeah thing is that hackers soon work out who you really are on a forum and then come and visit. If they can hack into the CIA I don't think my sandman.com.au will test them out.

Quote Originally Posted by wbut View Post
    Yeah thing is that hackers soon work out who you really are on a forum and then come and visit. If they can hack into the CIA I don't think my sandman.com.au will test them out.
    If they can hack into the CIA I don't think trolling Forums to steal cars would be high on their list of priorities!
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information