Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandman ID question - courtesy lights.

Sandman ID question - courtesy lights.

gedday fellas (and girls)

new to the site - looks great and happy to see more stuff out there on the coolest and probably most elusive aussie surf classics. anyway just wondering if anyone can clarify exactly what is meant by 'door courtesy lights" when describing sandman id requirements? not sure if they mean lights in the door trims or what? cheers, mick

It refers to the button switches in the door jambs that turn the interior light on when the door is opened. The red arrow in the pic below is pointing to it and there is one on each side.

P Plater
    Just so I understand, as I will be looking for a resto project soon, did the Sandman have a switch each side and the base models didn't or did the base models only have a switch in the drivers door and not passenger or none at all.

Cheers Geoff

The Kingswood had the light switches as standard.
    The Sandman had them standard as well.
    Base models will have the holes there, but no switch or wiring. However you could order (as an option) courtesy lights on a base model.

Remember to check the Body plate for Kingswood 8WN70 or Base model 8WM70

If you're looking at an HQ or early HJ, remember that the Sandman of these two series were based on Kingswoods as well, so you'd need more evidence.

Light switches/holes will be both sides.

Good luck.

Andrew, always mention HQ and HJ Sandman UTE when refering to Kingswood Sandmans otherwise those new to them may think you are also meaning Kingswood vans. There are too many out there that think Kingswood vans were also Sandmans so best to be specific to avoid confusion.

I spoke to a guy today who swears black and blue that he has a Kingswood Sandman van and that is verified by the monaroparts website....

I have holes and wiring but no switches - these I believe were taken out during a repaint a while back. So if there is wiring there - can I conclude that the vehicle once had door switches??

The vehicle has the welded strip that has been used (no current headlining - also due to repaint).
    The car also did also have metallic paint - Jade Green.

It is a HJ 8WM70

Hi Wayne - welcome to the forums.
    From what you're saying it sounds like a Sandman. The in-place wiring for the courtesy light means it's either a Sandman, Kingswood.
    Since your Body plate indicates a Holden base model 8WM70 (not Kingswood) and you have an complete headlining strip I'd say you've got a winner.

Just a side note - it was possible to order courtesy lights on the base model, but you also have the headlining strip and other identifiers that would make it authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker
    Just a side note - it was possible to order courtesy lights on the base model, but you also have the headlining strip and other identifiers that would make it authentic.
    Full headlining was an optional extra on the base model as were the courtesy lights so even having both doesn't mean you have a genuine Sandman.

If you have original documentation, XX7 or XU3 stamped plate or a unique Sandman trim code then you can guarantee you have a Sandman...... anything else is a maybe or probably at best.

Metallic paint is a most likely indicator as base models wern't supposed to be available in metallic according to the HQ, HX and late HZ paint availability charts. This doesn't apply to HJ or early HZ.

What is interesting is a customer walking into a dealership and ordering a base model + with GTS dash + 2 seat + headlining and courtesy lights.
    They would have been better off buying a Sandman, but I guess to a dealer a sale is a sale.

hey thanks for your replies and info on the courtesy light switches. yes mine has them too. good to see there is still plenty of info out there when needed. cheers mick

Thread Information