Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle advice

Sandman Guru

Vehicle advice

All

Just looking for some suggestions.

We are looking to retire the CV8 from daily use next March. It is getting pretty high in kM (just ticked over 108,000kM) and it is at its end of useful life with regards to tax benefits. I have novated leased it through my employer originally and now my own company for the last 6 years and now there is little tax benefit left. Residual/balloon is about $5k so i'll probably just park it in the shed.

The car is basically my mrs car. So what I get has to suit her but I have to be able to drive it to, so needs to have some power, so anything under 175-200kW is out. I want a car I can pull out to overtake in that doesn't feel like it has a handbrake on. So no 4cyl, no diesel or other such junk. And has to be an auto or clutchless manual and rear wheel or AW drive.
    Initially she wanted a BMW, Audi, Merc or whatever and I was looking at some of the nice 2nd hand V8 and also X3 and X5 examples but have been really turned off them by the servicing costs.
    I have the opportunity to get a cheap new Ralliart Lancer but both my mrs and I don't like all the gay-looking spoliers, scoops etc all over them. Don't really want a HSV for the same reason (same reason we bought a CV8 instead of a GTO, they were the same price).
    Now she likes a Lexus RX350 V6, however i'm not really keen on paying twice what the car is worth for a brand name, shame Toyota don't make the Kluger in the fastback shape - the 7 seater is one ugly piece of car. And Lexus have the same over-priced servicing and parts as BMW.
    Commodore and Calais are too damn big.
    We did look at a turbo Territory but unfortunately they have a Ford badge and I simply can't get past that, pity Mazda didn't badge Engineer them. I doubt my mrs would even consider a Ford either.
    Mazda CX7 look good and are good value but are a 4cyl turbo, go well but have major warranty issues. The replacement CX5 only have p!ssweak engines.
    Not interested in a Captiva as I don't want a Daewoo.

The only one that may fit the bill that we can think of is a Lexus RX350 that is 2.5 to 3 years old as they seem to lose half their value inside 2 years making them reasonable value and I can get it serviced at a Toyota dealer as the running gear is the same as a Kluger. Lexus come with 4 year new car warranty and like Nissan you can pay to extend the full new car warranty by an extended period as long as you do it prior to the 4 year period expiring. Others don't seem to do this, they just have insurance policy warranties which don't cover everything, so having this would avoid a lot of costly replacement bits if things go wrong. Would just have to find a decent one that is 2-3 years old, $40k and less than 25,000kM! The thing in our favour is Lexus has just released a Prestige that has most of the sports-luxury features but is $10 cheaper so this will force the 2nd hand market down. It still bothers me owning a trumped up Toyota, I'd rather just have a Toyota. Never been fan of lipstick on a pig! All that woodgrain rubbish inside of them is ugly.

So i'm at a bit of a loss and looking for suggestions! No-one seems to build a decent rear wheel or all wheel drive car with 200kW+ or so that isn't ridiculously priced for parts and servicing.

couple blokes i worth with have those new Ford Focus turbos. They go really well apparently, no complaints after 40,000 of driving

im partial to the 3 series beemer coupe. love em! had one a few years back. super wank status but women can pull them off :errf:

also another mate has an R32 Golf. Go like a rocket but he had a diff done under warranty at 30,000kms

Wish i was shopping for a new car! enjoy
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    She wants to stay away from Coupes, would rather a 4 door and nothing as small as a Golf. So have to stay in between Lancer and Monaro size but can be taller like an RX350. I will probably look at the flat 6 Liberty before we make any further decisions, 6cyl may be a saving grace for that car. I did drive a turbo 4cyl Liberty but it was terrible and has an awful big hole in the bonnet which was one of the Lancer ralliart turnoffs.
    Last edited by HK1837; 14-10-2011 at 10:20 AM.

yeah havent heard any nightmare stories about the Liberty yet. Pretty safe bet and fairly liquid if you dont like it
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    They look to be down on power a bit, only 191kW but a NA flat 6 with 191kW has to be better to drive than a turbo 2.5L 4cyl with the same power and less torque. There appear to be some good priced new demos with around 1000kM or so for 15k less than new cars. Might have a look tomorrow.

The best ones I can think of have blue oval badges (G6E and Focus turbo -also FWD)

RWD makes it hard, apart from the Euro's the only other one I'd think of is the Lexus IS350 (same engine as the RX but a little less SUV like.) Not sure if they're old enough to find a suitably depreciated second hand one.

What about Mazda6 MPS? AWD, 190kw, no stupid holes in the bonnet or lairy wheels. Mazda build quality and design is right up there with the best of them.
    mazda6-mps-3.jpg

Oh yeah, if you haven't got any room left in the shed for the CX8 I'll happily pay the residual and put it in mine.

Sandman Guru
    I'll check out the MPS Mazda6. I'd only ever seen them in Mazda3 and those are as ugly as!

Sandman Guru
    Looked at Subarus today. Neither of us liked the Liberty/Outback but the mrs liked the Tribeca. They are made in the USA. Underbonnet finish is cr@p compared to the Japanese variants. Can anyone tell me good or bad stories about these?

Can't tell you any specific stories but I've only seen about 4 of them , and Canberra is Subaru central. Not sure if it's cause of the price but they don't seem very popular around here, unlike the rest of the Subaru range.

Thread Information